Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-14-2006, 01:51 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Check Your Travel Insurance!

Hi All.
A while ago I parted with a lot of my money to move to the digital domain and bought a D70s. A real cracker, I was so in love with it.
The bad news is that flying out of Italy last week, I was told by the check in girl that I had to check in my camera bag as due to the 'new regulations' regarding Anti Terrosim, that it was too big. I had no choice, so I took the locks off my suitcase and tranfered them to the camera bag. When I arrived, and collected my bags, my lovely D70s and lens where stolen.
The real bad news is that the insurance company won't pay, as they do not cover schecked baggage, and that if they did, it would only be £250 per item. Usless on £500 camera. I'm trying to claim directly from the airline at the moment, but I not getting anywhere. Claiming from the Italian AIrports will be a nightmare.
What can I do. Needless to say I am now also without camera.
Simone..
Old 09-14-2006, 02:03 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Check Your Travel Insurance!

F#%K
Really sorry to ear that Simone...

There's one thing that we must do when traveling with lots of gear... we must declare the items in the check-in. Fill in the form with the equipment list!

That way, at least there's a comprovative from the airport that you checked in the equipment, it may be easier for you to recover at least some of the money!

Hope you can find a solution for this
Old 09-14-2006, 02:03 PM

Simone,

If you have home contents insurance you may be covered on that. Most policies have an 'All Risks' section to cover personal effects outside the home. Certainly worth checking. Unfortunately, as you have discovered, most travel insurers will do all they can to avoid paying a claim.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:08 PM
TE Expert

Mostly personal insurances they provide a legal assistance by their lawyers, ask them to claim the lost from the airline, it saves them too.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:23 PM
TE Senior Member

Simone, mayby it is not a big help, but I remember that in the BBC TV show Fasttrack, they mentioned this problem, and warned. There was something about the companies looking into this etc.
Mayby there is a chance that the insurance companies do cover it, due to the exeptional circumstances (you had no choice).
There should be a complaint possibility with the insurance company, or an ombudsman or something like that. They should be able to tell you what to do, it's their obligation.
You should formaly complain, by letter, pointing out the circumstances.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:11 AM
TE Senior Member

Its a shame they did it too you. Bring this as far as on some television program maybe, you should have your money.

For myself, I went digital SLR a month ago too, and went on a holiday with it immediate there after. I called the (travelling) insurance company directly to check till what amount photographing equipment they did cover. Not enough for my gear, so I payed somewhat extra to raise the covering amount.
Hope you will get something from insurance!

Also, always take your original (or a copy) bill (eh ticket you get when buying the stuff..), from the store where you bought your equipment. Also take along the serial number of your camera, lens(es) etc with you, original or copy.
So you can always show hey, I've bought this before I went on holiday, not there..so you dont have to pay tax. Atleast, that's what can happen here in Holland, that you come back from holiday and they want to see if you've payed the taxes. Bring the papers!

And take along the telephone- and your customernumber/ID of the insurance!

Good luck getting something in return for your great loss, hope you can shoot soon again!
Old 09-15-2006, 01:37 AM
TE Expert

this is what i was talking about.
this is mandatory, they can freeze all your gear in the airports.. you must declare everything
Old 09-15-2006, 01:46 AM
TE Senior Member

Ah ok, didn't completly understand you I guess, my fault.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:28 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi,
If it's of any use, I had my home contents insurance extended to cover personal property away from home world-wide. It covers individual items to £1500 each, useful if you are carrying camera gear or even a laptop. It didn't cost too much as I recollect. Maybe worth investigating for the future, commiserations on your loss!
Dougie.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:02 AM
TE Expert

I am afraid this is not an isolated case, and part of a racket by some cargo workers mafia.who are taking advantage of these new regulations. It's a lot of money, raise hell as publicliy as you can.

Not everyone is insured to the hilt. Just to insure my lenses and camera, would certainly be in the hundred dollars, and very limited in time, especially if you tell them you travel to asia, and not Japan at that, no?

Are these regulations permanent? what happened to these sophisticated X rays they checked laptop with?

My bag was opened last I went to France. Inside, there was a note explaining the search had been legal. Of course, they did not care how they put back what they searched. A gift to my Mom I had cautiously packed arrived broken... :-(