Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great ACL1978 2014-07-01 12:08

Hi Bev - a nice shot, first and foremost, of these two enjoying their time. I've often thought about the process of militarization from a personal standpoint, and witnessed it in people I know and students I've taught as well; I think it's important to remember as you do here that people come to the armed services for so many different reasons and that the individuals themselves - like the article you quoted points out - are not themselves an issue but rather the focal point of a larger issue.

Here in the US we obviously have a very similar culture of adoration for the military, and one that I often find disconcerting for reasons that are often difficult to explain to others. At Fenway Park, where my favorite baseball team the Red Sox play, each game the team holds a 'Hats Off to Heroes' segment in which a member of the armed forces stands on the field and receives a standing ovation from the crowd; I usually sit, but often feel quite self-conscious about doing so. What is hard, I think, for some to understand is that the soldiers themselves and the idea of 'supporting the military' must be separated. I can have respect for the people who, individually, made the choice to serve in that way, while still disagreeing with the use of, support for, and adoration of the military in my country.

Anyway, a long-winded response to a simple photo, but it brings up such fascinating points! Thanks for braving the political here with this one.

Andrew

Old 07-03-2014, 05:31 PM
TE Expert

Default To ACL1978: Sitting

Hello Andrew,,
thank you for your critique and interesting response. It's good to discuss these matters and I think TE is all the more interesting for it.
Bev