Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 01-12-2005, 08:06 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Tamron vs Canon lenses

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy some new lenses for my 20D and am currently considering the following:

Canon EF 28-135/3.5-506 IS USM
or
Tamron 28-75/2.8 XR Di LD

Canon EF 17-40/4L USM
or
Tamron 17-35/2.8-4 Di LD

Though price is an issue, more important to me is quality. My big concern from what I've read about the Tamron's is autofocus speed. I like candid shots and a slow AF would be crippling. The big plus for the T's are the wide aperatures and affordability.

Has anyone used any of these and what recommendations do you have? And any other lens recommendations would be great. I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences with lenses with focal lengths of anywhere between 10 to 200.

Thanks in advance!

alex
Old 01-12-2005, 10:43 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Tamron vs Canon lenses

hello Alex
i will not help you a lot
but actualy i use the Canon 17-40 USM
mmm i love this lens i think its really
a good one.

i dont understand your choice ?
u will buy a 28-135 and a 17-40

i am looking to buy a 20D ;o)
aer you happy with your ?

see you Alex
••simon••
Old 01-12-2005, 10:49 AM
TE Senior Member

Hi Alex.

I don't have direct experience, but I do hang out at dpreview quite a lot, so I have read a number of reviews on the lenses you mention. Of the first two, I would probably go with the Tamron. The Canon is a very good all around lens, but the f/2.8 constant aperture is a big appeal for me. I also think the slightly less than 3X zoom range is likely less of a compromise. Of course, if you want to spend the really big bucks, the CAnon 24-70L is very appealing, but horrendously expensive and heavy as well. I don't believe the focusing speed will be an issue for you, it will be plenty fast enough IMO. I would however make sure to buy it locally at a shop with a good refund/exchange policy. It seems there is some sample inconsistency with that one. Some of the users love this lens, some are not pleased with the results. By most all accounts though, it is a great value.

With the wide angle, I would recommend the Canon. You have to go an awfully long ways to find an owner who is not pleased with this lens it seems. The Tamron will be faster, but at short focal lengths, speed is not quite so important. Typically, you won't get really shallow DOF unless you are super close to your subject, and you can handhold longer shutter speeds more effectively. If you want to go really wide, you could look at either the Canon 10-22 or the Sigma 12-24. Personally, I would shy away from the Canon, as it is not designed for a 24x36mm sensor (film size). This means that you may not be able to use the lens on your next camera, or if you want to shoot film as well.

Quite honestly Alex, this is all heresy on my part, but if you hang out at dpreview.com long enough, all these issues are covered time and time again. I would suggest perusing the Canon SLR lens forum over there. It has helped me in making some decisions myself.

Take care.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:32 AM
TE Senior Member

Yup I'm definately leaning towards the Canon 17-40 for my everyday walking lens. The Tamron isn't significantly cheaper so I'm pretty sure about this purchase. I've looked at the shots on TE with this lens and I'm impressed.

I'm considering the Tamron for the longer end for portraiture reasons. I've read heaps of good stuff about it.

As for the 20D, yes I think it's a great cam. Then again, it's my first DSLR---ok, it's my first SLR period so I don't really have much to compare it to! I will say that I am feeling a bit of a learning curve, but that's what I bought it for! Do you have any tips for me?

The one thing that I have discovered that I find really useful is using Custom Function 4.1. I have set my autofocus on the rear thumb button and set my shutter to control my exposure. This way I can focus once and continue to click away without having to refocus.

Cheers Simon!
Old 01-13-2005, 07:36 AM
TE Senior Member

Cheers Darren! I checked out DP and didn't find too much there that I didn't find elsewhere (I like: http://www.fredmiranda.com/). I posted this here more for personal tips from people whose shooting style I'm more familiar with (rather than the strangers on other sites).

Right now I think I'm going for the Canon 17-40 to begin with. Funds aren't as good as I'd like em to be and I have some expensive plans in the works, so I'll have to have patience.

I'm also considering the Canon 50 F1.8. Any opinions on that?
Old 01-13-2005, 07:51 AM
TE Junior Member

Congratulations, Alex! You have found out the CF4-1 which place you in the league of advance Canon users. Now, all you have to do is to enable the CF13 and promote yourself to a higher plane.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:04 AM
TE Junior Member

Alex, since you shoots mostly in the wide end (~35mm), your choice of 17-40L is very appropriate for your style. The 28-135mm although a fine lens, I believe will cripple you if that would be your main lens.

The 50mmm is a very good lens with one caveat, at wide open, it is a bit soft. It will show its stuff around F2.8. However, it is a rather slow and noisy lens and the Mark II is horrible for manual focusing, the Mark I is better with its metal mount and focus ring on the barrel instead at the front. On the D20, it becomes a 80mm, something that you may need to consider.

Cheers,
Thien
Old 01-13-2005, 08:10 AM
TE Senior Member

Everyone should have a fast 50. For the price of the 1.8, I don't see how you can go wrong. This year, I have imposed a challenge to myself. I am taking at least one photo a day and posting it to my pbase account. With the low light ability, light weight and unobtrusiveness of my 50 f/1.7, it has been a godsend for me. If you are shooting indoors, or in dimmer light you can't imagine how useful this lens would be. Of course, an even better choice would be the 35 f/1.4, but they are not in the same price range whatsoever.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:16 AM
TE Senior Member

Thanks for the input Thien.

I was considering the 28-75/135 for portraiture work (I do a little of this for friends and family). I'm also considering the much cheaper 50mm for this as well. The wider aperatures would work well for this as well to blur the backgrounds. But yes you're right, the lens that best fits my style is the 17-40, so that is my first purchase!

Cheers!
Old 01-13-2005, 08:41 AM
TE Junior Member

Believe it or not, I believe that the 28-135mm to be a better portrait lens than the 50mm. You really need that tele end to compress the perspective for a flattering portrait. Even at F5.6, the shallow of depth will amaze you.