Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 12-03-2008, 10:56 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: How did you choose your user name?

My name is Silvio and I was born in 1953
Silvio
Old 12-04-2008, 04:55 AM
TE Junior Member

I combined my two youngest boys names :) Not very creative I'm afraid. Karen
Old 12-05-2008, 02:40 PM
TE Junior Member

Ther Hungarians put their surnames firts and then their "first names".
My surname is Ocskay and my nickname is Marci (comes from Márton=Martin) and I put these together: ocskaymarci.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:27 AM

Over the years I have been a TE member, a couple of other members have mentioned in critiques my nickname, as they were familiar with it from reading the novels of Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Yes, it is the fictional and fantastic town in northern Colombia which forms the main setting of One Hundred Years of Solitude, the novel which I read in 1973, as slowly as I could so as to prolong the enjoyment. Perhaps it is in reality Aracataca, Marquez's home town. Indeed, in 2006 a referendum was held in Aracataca to see if the citizenry approved a name change to Macondo. 92% of those who voted did want to change it, but this was not more than the 33% of the total citizens required to bring about the change! A good thing, too, as it should remain a place of fantastic reality, if such a thing is possible. Anyway, I have been obsessed with memories of this novel for so long that the word rolls of my tongue nearly every day, and I also liked the fact that it was exotic, simple to spell, and even conveyed in a slight way the Scottish heritage on my father's side, with the 'Mac' part.
By the way, I have read all of Marquez's novels and short stories, and his autobiography, which is much like a novel.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:15 PM
TE Expert

Well, I like cats and I chose "siamesa" although I don't have blue eyes.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:39 PM
TE Junior Member

As I had a lot of fun reading this thread, I add my not so original story ;) My name is Marion and I used to live in the département (administrative area) number 44, in Nantes, a (breton) city where I've spent very nice years ! I guess I should become Marion14 now that I moved ;)
Marion
Old 12-12-2008, 11:12 PM
TE Newbie

...just my full name with no spaces
Chin Vin Sen (Chin being my family name)
After years of forgetting which username I used for which site/forum/mail, etc, I decided my full name is unique enough to have it on all. hotmail, gmail, yahoo, forums, etc.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:49 AM
TE Junior Member

167 replies and 5156 view on a subject like How did you choose your user name?
Isn’t that great for a photo site that pretends to be serious, hahaha..!
Old 12-13-2008, 10:21 PM
TE Newbie

Back in late 90s, when I first began to come to the internet there was a thing called usenet, which was a collection of fora called newsgroups.
In a portuguese newsgroup in which I used to post there were people who jokingly typed imitated portuguese northern pronunciation. Nobody imitated algarvian, the most southern, from where I come.
I decided altogether with some other guys to to do that and a ggo nickname would be on which would ressemble something from Algarve.
There is a tree, alfarrobeira, the fruit is alfarroba, which is the carob, and is very common in Algarve and inexistent in the rest of the country.
Another matter is that many people call us algarvians "mouros" because the influence of arab culture is bigger here than in the rest of the country.
That was how I adopted "al-Farrobe", looking like an arab name. Some usenet servers did not permit nicknames with more than 9 characters, that is how it turned al-Farrob, which I use now even outside the internet :)
Old 12-27-2008, 10:30 AM
TE Junior Member

This is a bit long historical explanation why I use
kibele66
But I like the story, hope you like too:))

Kibele (Kybele), daughter of the Phrygian King, falls in love with a shepherd named Attis. King gets so angry and Attis is executed.
Kibele, in a deep grief and pain, takes the dead body of The Attis and carries him to the Mount Kybelon. There she chants and prays.
However monks warn Kibele to bury the corpse of the Attis, otherwise plague epidemic can destroy Phrygia.
Kibele, desperately buries the corpse of Attis, but she leaves his soul with her and miraculously Attis comes tolife again.
After a while he falls in love with another girl , but then feels repentance, became insane and kills himself. The blood from his body bloom up as flowers on the earth. Kibele don’t want him to die and makes him a everlasting pine tree.
After then, Kibele becomes the Goddess of the rebirth, immortality, fertility and mother of nature” and “Mother Goddess”.
Kibele represents the power of women rather than beauty
Becomes famous too in Ancient Greece and East Roman. Attis lives as a pine tree eternally. Kibele’s name changes to Cybele in some languages and Sybele and Sibel in Turkish as the time passes.