Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-02-2003, 04:34 PM
TE Newbie

Default Scanning old pics

Adrian, Thanks for the tips. Especially on scanning. This was a scan from an old print. I'll try the technique you mentioned. A lot of my old pictures seem to have that dust noise.
I have PhotoDeluxe for manipulating images. For anyone out there I'm curious as to your thoughts on software available for handling images. Adobe Photoshop, JASC Paint Shop, etc. User friendliness, cost, features you wouldn't want to be without, etc.

Thanks for taking the time to comment,

Dave
Old 11-02-2003, 05:50 PM

Default Re: Scanning old pics

Glad I could help! I've sent you an email.

Photoshop is the most powerful tool out there, but I sometimes wonder about the sanity of their UI design team ;-) Photoshop Elements is a cut down version that has most of the useful features - the one I miss is the ability to draw along a horizon and have it generate the correct rotation to straighten the image, other than that...

The GIMP is an open source alternative to Photoshop - it's fairly powerful, free, but it requires some tinkering to get running. I suggest you have a look at it before you spend any money...
Old 11-03-2003, 02:41 PM
TE Newbie

Got the email. Tried twice to send the larger pic by email and failed. :( I am on dial up. Not too much bandwidth. Oh well, maybe another day.
Thanks,
Dave
Old 11-03-2003, 03:43 PM

If it's a TIFF file then using something like WinZIP can greatly reduce the file if LZW compression hasn't been selected during the save.

Dial up can be frustrating...
Old 11-03-2003, 05:49 PM
TE Junior Member

I use The Gimp for all my photo-editing. It's free and it's almost as powerful as Photoshop. The UI probably takes a bit getting used to, the trick is to right-click on a image to show all the menus. The web-site: http://www.gimp.org
For people wanting an editor with more colours than 8 bit per channel, Cinepaint is an variant of Gimp capable of handling this. http://cinepaint.sourceforge.net