Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2008-05-10 11:30

Hello, Chris.

Wonderful!

By gosh, this is fabulous. What a lovely picture of this wonderful old car!

I bought a secondhand copy of Luigi Barzini's "Pekin to Paris in a Motor Car" (the original book depicting the journey from Peking to Paris) in an Edinburgh bookshop years ago for seven shillings and sixpence. I still have it and it's one of my treasured possessions - full of black and white pictures of the car crossing the Gobi desert, having a new (wooden) wheel made by a local wheelwright in a Russian village, being manhandled across gorges and so on.

It really was a tribute to how well mechanical engineering had progressed even by 1907. The real hero of the whole race was the quiet Ettore Guizzardi, the mechanic who rode with Prince Scipione Borghese and Barzini: Guizzardi did virtually all of the driving and certainly all of the maintenance of the vehicle.

One of the conclusions in the book was that by 1907 the motor car had achieved great levels of reliablity provided it was cared for by a competent mechanic: most breakdowns were due to poor maintenance or a lack thereof. This is something which is still true to this day.

Anyway, sorry to go on about this - I love your picture!

Thank you for sharing this one, Chris.

Kind Regards,

John.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:51 PM
TE Newbie

Default To tyro: Thank you!

Dear John. Glad you liked the picture. Enjoyed your note very much. It's great when a photo sparks off a memory for someone and it's great to hear about it. Perhaps the problem with the modern car is that it relies on electronics and precision parts so much that it can't be fixed so easily at the roadside. Have a good weekend. Chris