Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Good Manamo 2007-11-05 19:20

Hello Amber,
I'm terribly sorry, but I think there are some quality problems here. I think that yo pushed the pp a bit too far. It results in some noise (in the orange for example) and color aberration (blue cast in the "tentacles").
The idea is very nice though. It's just that I think the quality of the finish result could be better...
I'm pretty sure I already asked you, but again, what was the subject of you thesis?
Have a nice day,
Marc

Old 11-07-2007, 03:56 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To Manamo: Thanks

Hi Marc
Thanks for your critique. I agree the quality isn't the best, but unfortunately I think it is from the original capture and not the PP, as all I really did was lighten, sharpen, and clone out a few reflections. The noise is apparent in the original, but maybe made worse with lightening/sharpening. The blue colors in the tentacles are also in the original (I too thought the blue around the right one was odd). I think I need a new camera and a steadier hand. Jellyfish that don't move would help too :). I do welcome your critiques though.
Oh, and my thesis was in chemical engineering, specifically vaccine development.
Thanks,
Amber
Old 11-08-2007, 02:53 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: To Manamo: Thanks

Hello Amber,
I'm sorry then. Sometimes I think I'm good at understand a picture, but in fact I don't understand anything:D Silly me, I'm not to be taken too seriously!!
I tried some shots like these last summer and they're very hard to make. Light is ultra-low , so you have to be at high iso and to open up the aperture at full range. So, noise is high ad the focus has to be pin-point because the depth of field is so narrow...

Did you find a job in your domain? Was the motivation good throughtout the PhD? I'm in the midst of one...motivation comes and goes at will...

Good evening,

Marc
Old 11-09-2007, 04:27 PM
TE Junior Member

Good Morning Marc,

No problem there. I unfortunately bought my camera before I began to understand photography and just got a point and shoot type camera, so I don't really have control over aperture now. I plan to upgrade once I start a job.

As for jobs, I have one offer in my field now, and am currently interviewing at one last company before I decide. It did take a few months (I've been unemployed since July) but it all works out.

As for motivation, there were definately times that was lacking. I probably wanted to quit a half dozen times, but the last 6 months or so flew by. What are you studying?

Amber
Old 11-09-2007, 05:54 PM
TE Expert

Hello Amber,
you'll make perfect pictures soon then, because I already like the pics that originate from your point and shoot camera.
I study the mechanisms underlying fetal lung development, more specifically the importance of lung distension and of its downstream effectors. It's fascinating and since I lie the kids so much, I find my motivation in all the good that could come out. Sometimes it's hard though.
I wish you good luck to find something that you will like and that will motivate you.
All the best,
Marc
Old 11-15-2007, 01:06 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi Marc,
Your research sounds quite interesting. Best of luck with the rest of grad school. I think I am going to accept a position in vaccine development soon. I'm quite excited about it.
It will be quite a move though.
Amber