Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great doubay 2007-08-29 8:31

Hi Craig!
I think, the inhabitants of Kastelorizo should be really thankful to you that you make so much promotion for their island with all these beautiful photos. This leads us to a core dilemma of TE by the way: On the one hand we all want to share all those beautiful places we have visited by posting photos of them, on the other hand though we donít want them to be destroyed by the hordes of mass tourism. But by promoting the last remaining hideaways through TE we bring them into danger.
Regards
Andreas

Old 08-29-2007, 08:03 PM
TE Newbie

Default To doubay: Hello

Hi Andreas!

yes you're right, but the reason kastellorizo doesn't have the hoards of tourists is not because the tourists do not want to go to Kastellorizo, but because they can't get there due to the isolation of the island and the lack of transport as well as the difficulty to get to the island from the rest of the world, Europe and indeed Greece. Take Symi for example....now becoming very touristy, but because it has easy connections with Rhodes and other islands. Kastellorizo doesn't have that.
Plus the other argument is that the islanders need the tourists as this is how they live. This year they have been cut off even more, as flights no longer go direct from Athens! The other problem is that Kastellorizo is not an official entry point with Turkey, meaning that you cannot pass through the island from Turkey or vice versa. This means that day trips are allowed but no overnight stays....This also has a bad effect limiting the island's economy!
You see...there are a few places that I am keeping secret on trekearth and I have kept photos away from the site in order to protect the places from mass tourism(although this doesnt mean that they wont becoe touristy in the furture).....but kastellorizo and its people need the tourists. If anything, at the moment, the only threat Kastellorizo has is from the Australians who are increasingly returning to the island to build houses...which in general do not respect the tradtional architecture or nature that surrounds them!
In brief: I agree with you...it's a debatable subject, but Kastellorizo doesn't even have the size or capacity to become bombarded by tourists and the people using Trekearth tend to be travellers rather than just holiday makers!
What do you think?
Greetings from UK