Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great sohrab 2007-07-10 6:59

the quality of the highlights makes me feel that this is sterling paper that you've used.
i'd suggest that you try less contrast, burn the highlighted area in the middle, dodge the crowds and monkeys on top and at the bottom and burn the building and the sky more.

i don't mind irregular burns in the line of the burning on the right part of the sky, although i'd have burnt the region more to get atleast more of a hint of the building if i didn't want the building to come out totally.

however i'm quite repelled by the burning on thr left part of the sky. it's just too regular a blob of burnt paper for me. seems like you punched a little hole in a piece of paper and let the light from the enlarger fall into the photographic paper keeping the "burning paper" still in one place.

it also doesn't really feel like a 3/2 35mm format. feels a little short on the longer (vertical) side.. is that so??

the photograph is nice.. a little more of the shadows at the bottom would have definitely added a lot to the photograph, especially because there's a hint of them curving up towards the people. and yeah i think if you manage to bring out the building by burning the area for a longer time, it might make the perspective stronger.

i'm sure you're having alot of fun. contact luko. he'll give you some invaluable tips regarding printing
take care :)

Old 07-10-2007, 04:30 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To sohrab: Yes true....

hey Sohrab, thanks for dropping in! :)

..how are you?? hope you are well!

...you are right, sterling paper it is...I know what you are suggesting...it was a little lazy on my part to not properly burn the sky as i thought i would...i need to redo this again..the building should've been burned in to attain the details...but you're suggestion to burn the highlight in the middle area and dodge the area around the crowds and the monkey bring out more detail didn't occur to me before...thanks!

and about the compositional aspect ... including more of the shadows in the foreground would have played a more definitive role...i regret that a bit...will try again...but i doubt if this kind of situation will be repeated..or if i will be there to record it when it occurs again...i keep visiting these places often ..so just hope...

about the format..it perhaps looks a little squarish..maybe that's because of the size of print paper i used..this was printed on a 9/7" paper...i have another print of the same on a 5/7" paper and it has a different look in terms of (vertical)proportion...its still a mystery...

and yes, I will consult Luko... :)
you take care too...
Siddhartha
Old 07-14-2007, 11:25 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: To sohrab: Yes true....

try giving it a window (border) similar to the one that i use in my TE uploads.. you'll be able to get a 3/2 format on your 9"x7" paper..

i suggest you don't look for such a situation again.. you might get obsessed with the idea and might see through many other opportunities..

better to just let things come your way :)
Old 07-15-2007, 07:17 AM
TE Junior Member

come to think of it...ya, i am now kind of obsessed with getting to see a repeat scene(of a young girl swinging underneath a hoarding on a busy central calcutta street) i saw while i was in a bus...i keep visiting the place...
so far have been unsuccessful...what you say makes sense now... :)
Old 07-17-2007, 02:37 AM
TE Senior Member

Interestingly...I don't completely agree with avoiding trying to document a particular vision as long as you don't ignore other oppurtunities as Sohrab suggests. There are situations that I imagine will be great shots...and these situations tend to be dictated by a certain unchanging atmosphere. So, I can revisit hoping to see what my brain has painted for myself.

In printing, I would dodge the monkey enough to anticipate the amount of burning you'll need to do to the sky. Burning in increasing intensity from the inside outwards... Also, you could try split grade expsoure. If you use a #3 filter for regular exsposure, you could use a #0 to burn in the highlights...This will cut back on how much the shadow detail is affected.

I'm well aware of heavy wet-printing. For me, it was a symptom of inexperience...hopefull I'm getting better at controlling my excesses with in camera exsposure as well as enlarger exsposure.

See ya,
Chris.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:36 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi Chris,

How are you? :)

You raised quite a storm ...in a tea cup...with your last post..hehehe..just kidding!!!!
I am a pacifist you see and glad to see it's been swallowed up into a nice camaraderie !! :))

Unfortunately I don't have any place for attaching filter's in my enlarger ... it's a very basic enlarger..poor me...but thanks for the idea..I know someone who has all the right equipments..so maybe he can print it for me..given the right directions...

About getting obsessed ..Sohrab was right...when I get obsessed with an idea...I could get quite emotional..and sometimes pathetically morose if my idea don't see the light of the day...like yesterday...I was quite obsessed with getting a particular frame...a monk in suspended animation...suspended in air...trance like situation really...but then no matter how hard I tried I completely failed to achieve it...there was this unwanted element(happened to be a photog!!) coming in my way...damn ..I still regret it...and he was framing it the wrong way to add to my woes!! :(

But at another level you make sense...it's the hunger that keeps one going...as long as one is able to avoid being oblivious to other kinds of hunger...hehe! :)

Cheers!
Siddhartha
Old 07-17-2007, 10:11 AM
TE Senior Member

Ahhhh...the biggest problem for photogs, other people messin' up the pictures. I have a number of otherwise good photos destroyed because there is a person jutting up out of the head of my subject...or an arm, leg, butt etc. Sometimes these various human parts are just sticking into one side of the frame; always a problem. Oh well, we learn touse our eyes a little better...atleast that's what I keep telling myself.

Your right about that last post...it stirred up things a little more than I was prepared for...crazy.

I understand obssesions, but then again, obssesions really make life interesting!

Later Siddhartha,
Chris.