Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 04-13-2007, 12:35 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: stolen contrast, by TE

Hey, thanks for taking the time to check it out!
Oddly enough it is exactly the same picture! One posted through TE and the other uploaded through ftp onto my site (about ten minutes later). No change in between, no nothing. So, how is this possible?
Oh, and before I posted it, my dearest computer told me the file is 197kb... which made me wonder even more once I uploaded it: it seemed to shrink! And when I try to upload a picture my computer tells me is 200kb TE doesn't accept it (saying it's too large). I'm a bit lost...

Thanks for your time!
All the best,
Julia
Old 04-13-2007, 08:04 AM
TE Expert

1 k = 1000
1 kb = 1024
Old 04-13-2007, 11:05 AM
TE Junior Member

Thanks for the info... however it doesn't really explain why a 197 kb file on my computer translater into a 96 kb file on TE. Any takes on that?
Old 04-13-2007, 11:33 AM
TE Expert

I think it's simply impossible. If the is a download error the file should be corrupted and it will be impossible to read it. On the server side there no device to change the JPEG quality. I think you saved the file with a low quality (96kb) with your photo software opened, uploaded it on TE, and saving it again on your HD then close your software.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:29 PM
TE Senior Member

Hi,
I opened the two photos in Firefox and in my office's CRT monitor there is no single difference in them. I downloaded each file and they have some differences though:
Site version: 141.355 bytes and Exif Information
TE version: 98.161 bytes and no Exif Information

First of all, there is no way I am aware of that the same file could look differently when downloaded from two locations in the same browser. And when I say the "same file" I really mean the "same file".

That said, my best bet is that these ones are not the same file, which they aren't because they don't have the same size nor the same information, and probably you have applied some different color spaces when saving them. The cool (or not so cool) thing is that probably only Mac users will notice this... Have you saved TE's version using save for web option with windows color space? That might be an answer...

Most of the times, lack of contrast when publishing to the web comes from the wrong use of color spaces. You use a color space when editing in CS2 which is different from the browser's color space and when you see it in a browser (coming from TE or even in your own computer) it will look different. There is also the Mac vs Windows thing, so there is a lot to cover here. Check this thread for more info about the subject. Hope it helps.

Stay safe, l.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:11 PM
TE Junior Member

My guess is that you took the photo in raw mode and uses a colour profile other than sRGB in the raw-processing step. Other profiles may be better for printing, but are worse for screen display. The loss of bytes is probably the removal of this embedded profile by TE.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:11 PM
TE Junior Member

Hey, thanks for your input. I thought it was impossible as well. And still don't understand what happened.
Here is what I did, step to step:
- opened file in CS2, resized it, adjusted curves, added frame + name.
- did a save as (naming it Latvija.jpg), with file size down to 8 (as maximum would have been too big).
- checked the size of the file on HD: 197kb (according to Finder - I'm running on Mac OS X) and decided it was big enough without being too small.
- opened TE in Safari, selected country, selected picture from desktop, uploaded.
- added info about genre + all the rest and then said *post*.
- checked the outcome on TE and wondered about the odd colours.
- went back to CS2 (hadn't closed image) and wondered WITHOUT resaving picture.
- opened Cyberduck (ftp upload program), logged on to my website, and uploaded SAME shot/file.
- opened picture that just uploaded onto website, compared and then posted this thread onto the forum.

Honestly, I really don't understand what happened.
Perhaps some sort of internet/computer vortex of unexplainable reasoning? ;D
Old 04-13-2007, 08:19 PM
TE Junior Member

Hey! Thank You for your input.
I just wrote a little step-by-step of what I did. Perhaps I went wrong at some point?

I am really lost with this case. It seems really strange that the two versions would be different, and more importantly that they have a different size. They are truly the same file. I did not re-save in between. Definitely not. I was more interested in figuring out whether it was a browser problem or not, than anything else.

As for the save for web: after using it successfully a good number of times, I became more and more annoyed by the way it distorts colours, and hence went back to "save as" with adjusted compression. Whether it is a good idea or not remains to be seen :D but thanks for the idea about windows colours space, I'll have to look into that. And thank YOU for the thread about the colour space. It might indeed prove to be a good idea to use windows colour space as, let's face it, most people use windows anyway (why on Earth would anyone do that? ;P)...

Again, Thank You for your time!
All the best,
Julia
Old 04-13-2007, 08:20 PM
TE Junior Member

The loss of bytes is probably the removal of this embedded profile by TE.

Ha! You might have hit the nail in the head right there!
Thank You! I will most definitely look into that!

I do use sRGB though, but will have to check if I'm doing everything right along the way.

Thank You!
All the best,
Julia
Old 04-13-2007, 09:21 PM
TE Junior Member

It surprises me that using 'save for web' makes the colours worse, because this guarantees you're using sRGB. I don't know macs, though - it could be that that your super-mac monitor has a better colour range than a standard one, and you are using by default a colour profile to suit that.

You might be interested to see this, which has the wrong profile, and the workshop that I put later with sRGB.