Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 01-05-2007, 09:04 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: The difference between Art and Reality

even the most basic choice: "which film will I use?" already changes reality. Or, in digital as Francis you found out, Canon vs Nikon, give you a totally different result in terms of the colors.

The fact of it is this friend "photographer" is a deluded guy who doesnt get the most basic thing: photography doesnt capture reality. Why? There is no reality, no absolute. Im color blind, Im sure there are differences in how I perceive reality vs Francis or someone else here.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:45 AM
TE Junior Member

Its the endresult that counts, so I don't mind photoshopping at all!
Old 01-05-2007, 09:49 AM
TE Junior Member

the oldfashioned photographer used tools in the darkroom too, to make parts of a photo darker or lighter and when you use a printingservice they correct colors too, so photoshopping gives you the way to do it yourself, so the photo/artwork is totally yours and not a massproduct from a printingservice anymore and that's better!
Old 01-05-2007, 11:04 AM
TE Expert

There is no limit and there are no rules in Art ...

A camera is a tool, like a spoon to eat, a car to move, words to talk, money for living, green for breathing ...

You take a shot with your mind, your feeling your tool stays in function of that aim.
The result is a reflection of your personality, beyond your tool.
If you want reality you don't take photos, you go there !

PP stays in function of your personal expression, if you are a sensationalist ... so be it, if you are a garbage shooter ... so be it (wouldn't like to invite him at my place though, too much garbage :)), if you are a green shooter, go for it ... but staying on the level of a tool seems rather impersonal to me ...
Old 01-05-2007, 12:20 PM
TE Expert

Of course the darkroom alters the image...just as choice of film stock or paper does before we even get our hands dirty.......but the real reason I'm writing is complimant you on the invention of a new word......the fi(d)getal photographer - the photographer who takes his shot and fidgets with it in Photoshop until it blends in perfectly with his or her desires.....

bw Kev
Old 01-05-2007, 04:38 PM
TE Junior Member

Chen,

If anyone were to look at Ansel Adams' photographs, they would probably believe they were looking at an un-sullied reality that existed exactly at the point when he hit the shutter release. His images are, to many, forensically pure. To me, purely and simply ART.

Here is a list of quotations by Ansel Adams which all point what I feel is a greater truth;

“Not everybody trusts paintings but people believe photographs”.

“Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art”.

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer”.

“You don't take a photograph, you make it”.

“Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution”.

“The negative is comparable to the composer's score and the print to its performance. Each performance differs in subtle ways”.

We all make our own minds up. However, this forum is about learning about the world around us.

As a result, I try - wherever possible - not to embellish "the truth" too much - certainly not beyond the point that it becomes unrecognisable.

I will admit to removing the odd plastic bag from a seascape and removing a bird / jet-stream from a picturesque sky but the place I'm shooting would look "real" to anyone who lives there.

In my opinion;

Reality + Photography + Image Manipulation (chemical or digital) = ART.

Paul.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:31 PM
TE Expert

Hi Chen,
another great topic from you...

Just to add some thoughts in (including mine), maybe you also might be interested with this thread.

cheers
Luko
Old 01-20-2007, 05:15 PM
TE Junior Member

We have over five senses: seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting, tactile feeling and emotional feeling at least. Can't we try to include more than just seeing when we photograph?

When I create a photograph, I usually have an emotion when I capture something, and then I try to communicate that, along with what I "see", with the photo. Is this emotional truth (and truth via the other senses) not as valid as the visual truth I see?
Old 01-20-2007, 08:54 PM

To me the amount of manipulation that is acceptable varies dependant on the subject and purpose of a photograph. I was reading a letter in a photo mag today where somebody was complaining that their entry had been disqualified from a wildlife competition because they had removed the original background and put in a 'more suitable one'.
To me wildlife / nature photography is all about the actuality of the situation and the disqualification was totally justified. In advertising, for example, I would say pretty much anything goes.
The natural one is Reality and the advertising one is Art.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:02 PM
TE Junior Member

i feel that it's already been said, but i just want to reiterate that it doesn't take a whole lot of research to discover that what the camera sees is far from what the eye sees, and that neither necessarily represents truth. Take him out to a green field at sunset (maybe at another time of year...) and let him enjoy the bright colors of the sky and the nice backlit green of the field, then i dare you to take a picture that captures both at the same time. Sure, you could stick a grad ND filter on, but how is that any different at all from postprocessing? My eyes don't have a grad ND filter on them, they just have developed to have a much wider latitude for high contrast light than film or digital technology has.

i do think that photography, if not disclaimed, claims to represent truth. Such is not the case in instances such as advertising, for example, when a bear driving a truck isn't going to be misinterpreted by the public as an actual occurence, but generally photography claims to represent truth on some level. That truth is always, however, subject to the photographer's vision and the public's interpretation. i don't feel that a photographer should postprocess a picture beyond how he or she saw it when she took it, but i also don't feel that vision is a property of the eyes, and i know that ten people wouldn't see the same thing from any one place. As a result, photography is, to me, the photographer's attempt at expressing his or her vision as accurately as possible, with post-processing a tool in aiding that process.