Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great rosaline 2006-11-15 3:46

Hi John
This is quite an atmospheric and somewhat sultry scene. The drifting mist adds a good texture to the light and colouring of this landscape. The effect of the shadow and the catch of sunlight in the central portion of the picture plays well too. I do notice a little bit of noise in the sky, though. What is your general ISO rating? I suggest sticking to ISO 100 if you can, and use a tripod to compensate for the reduction in shutter speed. Other than that, a beautiful scene.

Aubrey

Old 11-14-2006, 08:41 PM
TE Senior Member

Default To rosaline: Thanks

Hi Aubrey,
Yes, I usually stick to an ISO of 100, but a tripod would have helped here. In fact the only reason I am thinking of upgrading to the Canon 5D is because I believe it offers an ISO of 50, which remains my preference for landscape shots. What are your thoughts in this regard?
Cheers.

John
Old 11-14-2006, 10:44 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To rosaline: Thanks

Hi John
As you know I use the Nikon system. The pictures on TE from the Canon 5D are excellent. But then, any of the top of the range SLRs will give excellent results if used properly. I find ISO 100 to give excellent results with the D200. ISO 50 will give you an extra edge but you will definitely need a tripod for sure. I think you should definitely upgrade. Though you will need to carry a tripod around and probably extra equipment. If this is ok, then go for it.
Cheers
Aubrey
Old 11-15-2006, 05:19 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: To rosaline: Thanks

Thanks for that helpful advice, Aubrey. I am thinking that with a monopod and the Image Stabilizing system I have on my Canon lenses that this should largely do the trick. The most frustrating part of digital for me as a landscape photographer is the noise and issues with vegetation and trees that I didn't experience to the same degree with film. Cheers and thanks again for that helpful advice.
John