Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Kalesin 2006-10-10 2:24

Kathakali is emotive as well as narrative and its recitals are very long. Performed in the temples, the dancers encompass dance with dialogue and try to bring myth and legend to life. This dance form is accompanied by drums and vocalists. The dancers have such strong convictions about the characters they play, that they even swap identities with the legends.There are 3 groups - actor-dancers, vocalists and percussionists, in a Kathakali performance. The actor-dancers play a variety of roles including kings, gods, demons, heroines, animals, priests, etc. Each role has a particular style of makeup and costume as its code. Hand gestures or mudras along with extensive use of facial expressions and eye movements are used by the actors to convey their dialogs to the audience. The instruments consist of cymbals and 3 types of drums - cena, edakka and maddalam with each of the drum producing a distinct sound.
This photo you provided us is good character freom Kathakali dance and that make up is called "Pacha" an austere and serene character representing the manifestation of goodness and righteousness.The face make up and the expression on the face matches the nature of the character. :-D
One note i was told that all characters(female and male) are acted by male actors.

I like way other character is blurred because it emphisizes Pacha who could be bit bigger. Anyway very good shot. Congrats
Regards,
Jelena

Old 10-11-2006, 02:26 AM
TE Newbie

Default To Kalesin: Thank you

Hi Jelena,
Thank You for refreshing my memory about kathakali, I remember the dance vividly but somehow the story got a bit hazy.Have you seen the performance? its very powerful you can never forget it...did you know they have several different ways of rolling their eyes?
Yes all the characters are male :)
I have very few negatives with me here in melbourne as i left it all behind in Bangalore, India. When i came across this site i was really happy to see so many people sharing their view i wanted to be a part of it :)
Thank you for your views. Its much appericiated.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:17 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To Kalesin: Thank you

Hi Reshma,
I saw the dance only on video which my friend from Kerala gave to me, and it left me speachles.
Beautiful dance and coreography. I have several photos (better to say cut outs from video)of Kathakali dance,where actor was Nelliyodu Vasudevan Namboothiri, he is one of the best Kathakali performers in Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
I didnt know about 7 ways of rolling eyes :D.
Regards,
Jelena
Old 10-13-2006, 03:07 AM
TE Newbie

Default Hello

Hi Jelena,
Yes the dance is truly something, i wish i watched the performance in a more natural setting like in a village or an actual performance. As this show was more for the tourist it lacked the audience who make any performance a real treat.
But it did reach to the overseas tourist who appericiate the dance when informed the context of the story.
I have a few pictures of the actors doing their makeup but unfortunately they are in India or else i could have forwarded it to you.

I think your pictures are amazing, I have never posted any photos online before so this site is fun.

Reshma