Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 06-14-2004, 01:42 PM
TE Newbie

Default ISO 100 ?

I am a bit concern to buy a certian ditital camera because it hasnt got a ISO 100 setting, and as far as I know its quite important to be able to use it in very bright conditions. Please could someone give me some advice on this?
Old 06-14-2004, 02:37 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: ISO 100 ?

Hi Jannie. I assume you are either buying a Nikon D70, D100, or a Pentax *istD as these three cameras all use the same sensor and all have a minimum ISO setting of 200. I have the Pentax, and have not been bothered in the lest by the settings. I guess if you want to shoot a waterfall in the middle of a bright day, you might not get the shutter speeds you want, but then again, shooting a waterfall during a bright day is not going to look good anyways. I have never been bothered by the lack of 100ISO and haven't missed it in the least. I do carry a neutral density filter in my camera bag, this can help to slow down your shutter if it is too bright to get the effect you want. Personally, I have not had to use that yet either, although there will be times it becomes necessary. Really, I have not missed it in the least.

This is going to sound strange and I know it doesn't make any logical sense, but I like the fact that my camera doesn't have ISO 100. I am the type of guy who will always want the best quality, and if my camera were to have the ISO 100, I would automatically shoot most of my shots at that speed. This would in reality mean that I would in many cases get more camera shake or subject movement than with iso200, and subsequently poorer, not better photos. The ISO 200 is a nice little buffer for someone such as myself. Not to mention that I get far less noise/grain at ISO200 with digital than I ever did shooting Provia 100F, which is a very fine grained slide film.

Good luck on your choice.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:39 PM
TE Newbie

Hi Darren

Yes I was talking about the Nikon D70, and thank you for your advice it helped alot.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:07 AM
TE Junior Member

I've been using a D100 for about the last year and the ISO 200 hasn't been an issue for me either. Like yourself had wondered, but I find the camera quite friendly in bright light conditions.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:20 AM
TE Newbie

Yes, just to confirm what was said above... I also use a Nikon D100, and the fact that it only goes to ISO 200 has never bothered me one bit.