Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 06-23-2006, 08:46 PM
TE Junior Member

Default 50mm Prime Lens

I've heard much talk about 50mm Prime lenses here. That every camera bag should have one. Judging by the results I've seen I definetly want one.
However......
I thought that 50mm was supposed to be the closest to the human eye. Surely though when attaching this to a digital camera without a full size sensor, the magnification factor changes this.
I have a Nikon D70s so a 50mm lens would really be a 75mm lens, should I be looking for something around 30-35mm?
Old 06-26-2006, 06:36 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: 50mm Prime Lens

That is correct, you might want to look at the Sigma 30mm f1.4. If you can find a good copy, that baby has beautifu bokeh and would give you that "normal lens" view you write about.
All the best,
Francis
Old 06-26-2006, 06:46 AM

Depends on your reason for wanting one I guess.

If you want something to mimic the apparent focal length of the human eye, then yes ~35mm would appear to be your best choice.

If you want something that represents good value in terms of optical quality then 50mm usually gives the best bang per buck.

If you want to play with a fast lens, then work out what focal length you use the most, and get a fast prime at that length. Are you always at the wide end of your zoom? Get a wide. If you're always at the telephoto end, get a tele.

If you just want to work on your composition skills and think a bit harder about how best to use the lens, then any prime will probably do.

But if you're just buying one because everyone says it's the thing to do, then you're doing it for the wrong reason IMO.

I know I'm probably going to get crucified for voicing this opinion, but... At the end of the day, equipment does not a good photo make, that's your challenge as a photographer. Some people think you get lazy with a zoom - but sometimes that special composition in your mind's eye is only available at 24mm, or some other random value, and you can't back up because there's a wall there, or whatever ;) If you have the money spare, then by all means, get a 50mm prime and explore it, but if spending that money prevents you from a major upgrade that would greatly improve your photographs then I think it's just money wasted.

Just my 2p worth ;)
Old 06-27-2006, 06:17 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Francis & Warren

Thanks for the Info, Francis you have answeared my question 100%
Warren good advise, and i agree with you about the it being the photographer & not his kit which take the best photograph.

I just want the one prime, and I'll certainly be looking that Sigma.

Grazie mille
Simone..
Old 07-07-2006, 09:19 PM
TE Newbie

I've use the Nikon 50 1.8 and I bought 35 2.0. These are great lenses, cheap and very recommended. Result I would say 50mm is perfect 10, even better and cheaper than 50mm 1.4. 35mm is 9.8 out of 10. I bought 35mm because the lens factor so its about 50mm in film camera. I recommend to buy Nikon lens in this case because price is not much a different than Sigma 30mm.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:10 PM
TE Junior Member

You can still buy a 50mm lens and use it for portraits and close-ups (typical portrait focal length is something like 80-130mm so 50mm and its digital equivalent of 75mm could be fine for this purpose)...