Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-15-2006, 10:25 PM
TE Expert

Default Nikon DX VR 18-200 mm F3.5-5.6G Zoom

Hi folks

I was wondering if someone had any idea about the waiting time to get hold of this lens in Europe.
Lens: Nikon DX VR 18-200 mm F3.5-5.6G Zoom
Cities: Paris, Milan, London, Amsterdam
I would also be interested in knowing the retailers from where I can buy the above lens.

Right now I am not even sure which camera I will buy, (350D or D70S).
But if I buy D70S, I would like to buy the above mentioned lens, but the waiting time for that lens are way too long in Canada.

oh yeah ... I am going to India in something like two months and I can break my journey in Europe depending on the airline I am flying. So I won't mind breaking my journey in one of the above cities if I can get a good deal on the lens.

Thanks for your feedback people.
you guys are awesome
cheers and have a good day .... Sarju
Old 05-15-2006, 10:37 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Nikon DX VR 18-200 mm F3.5-5.6G Zoom

Hi Sarju -

I had ordered this lens in mid-January (at my local photo store in Germany) and got it last Friday, i.e. after four months waiting time.

During my trip in Japan (March/April this year), I had inquired about the lens at multiple stores (Yodobashi Camera and other shops in Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya and Kobe) - you would think that if a new Nikon lens is available anywhere, it would be Japan. But even there the sales people usually responded with a statement of "at least 1 or 2 months".

It just seems that Nikon has a huge backlog of orders on this lens, and I would be suspicious about anyone who claims they can give you a firm delivery date. All I can recommend you is to order one as soon as you have decided to go for the D70s.

Good luck -
Norbert
Old 05-16-2006, 04:48 PM
TE Newbie

Hello,
I have this lens, and I can say that I did not await it a long time (8 days).
But I ordered it via an order grouped on a French forum, and at the time of the order there his 3 of them available .
Else it seems that the deadlines are orders of one to two months of waiting according to the signs.
But waiting is worth the blow well because it is a formidable lens, (except an important distortion in great angle) it is very general-purpose, I even find that the best result is with 200mm.
The minimum distance of MAP (50cm), is very practical by the close-ups with 200mm especially.
Stabilization is quite simply exceptional, I succeeded of the sharp photograph, by a show of hands, the 1/15Ťme of second to 200mm.
Moreover the VRII is more reactive than the VR, and one does not have the latency time that there is on the 70-200VR f/2,8 which I had the occasion to test.
For me it is the "universal" lens and to travel light.

Dino.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:51 PM
TE Expert

Sarju,

I put in $500.00 for the new Nikon D200 and this lens on Decmber 22, 2006. I am still waiting. I ordered it through a Nikon Dealer and a camera store here in Walnut Creek, San Francisco Bay Area. Five months wait already!

Andre'
Old 05-18-2006, 04:29 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Sarju

I've just bought the D70s and love it. I prefered the Canon,but it was just too dam fiddly.
If your after the 18-200 try these people.
https://secure.ffordes.com/index.htm they are based in Scotland, dleivery is world wide.....
You could if you want order it to my address and save on p&p, and then we could meet up on your way to India.....

Simone..
Old 05-22-2006, 12:57 AM
TE Junior Member

I have good connection to some people of Nikon.
In 1 - 2 weeks I could get it.

Sakis
Old 05-22-2006, 02:20 AM
TE Expert

Thank you for your offer Sakis.But because of warranty and repair issues I prefer to buy it here in the US. I am pretty sure it will not take long anmore before the shipment at the Bay Area comes. Again, I apreciate your offer.

Andre'