Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-16-2006, 08:01 PM
TE Newbie

Default Career Help!

Hey everyone..This kind is going off topic from this website, but I have a question.
I'm going to be graduating High School this year, and I'm not sure what I want to do. I either want to be a Photographer, a Writer, or a Chef. Most people tell me that I do well at all of those. Which one out of the three do you think would pay more? I know I'd have to go to college (or a culinary course) to excel in any of those careers, but I could really use some advice.
Thanks.
- Jeff
Old 05-17-2006, 12:04 AM

Default Re: Career Help!

There is the potential to make a good living from any of your suggested careers, but none of them guarantee wealth. Chefs are probably in the greatest demand. You don't say what kind of photography interests you or what you mean by 'Writer'. Is that books, newspaper, scripts.....
Old 05-17-2006, 03:26 AM
TE Senior Member

Stick with the career that is going to be the most secure in the long term and easier to get into to begin with.

There are some very very very good photographers out there, even on this site, who make barely a cent from their hobby. Even then, most people who make money from photography only just make enough to cover a new lens every 6 months or so...hardly enough to have as a sole income. Just keep photography as a hobby, improve over the years, then maybe when you think you are on par with the best, try and get a job as a photographer somewhere. If you don't get the gig, then you always have your chef work to fall back on.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:43 AM
TE Expert

Biggest mistake is to choose a career on what you think you can make. Pursue the one you like best.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:01 AM
TE Junior Member

Why are you listening to other people when it's your life. Do you what love and love what you do...you can't go wrong. You may not be rich, but you'll be happy. Life's too short to be something you are not passionate about. It can be cooking, writing or photography, but that's not for us to decide. What you do best may not be what you like to do the most.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:04 AM
TE Junior Member

I agree with Mark, you should take this kind of decision by yourself.

Izo
Old 05-18-2006, 12:54 PM
TE Senior Member

I have no experience in career...but to me it depends what you like.

But from your question I get that you like 'money' - you wanted to know which pays most.

If that's the case, my rookie advice would be: make money first, then pursue your interests.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:23 PM
TE Junior Member

I think most people have pretty much summed this up. You should make the decision yourself. However only advise I have is to persume the career that makes you happy. YOU CAN'T BUY JOB SATISFACTION, and it's worth more than money....
Good Luck!
Old 05-18-2006, 05:52 PM
TE Junior Member

one actor in Poland once said: "do what you love to do with all your heart, and the money soon will follow you like mice after magic flute".
Old 05-20-2006, 05:47 AM
TE Junior Member

i'm going to be pragmatic and swim against the utopic views of people in this discussion.

a chef seems like a good career because it would be the easiest to guarantee employment and income. sure you might like writing, but doesn't guarantee you'll make money enough to be happy or comfortable.

you might not be totally happy as a chef, but you'll also never be hungry! ;)

photography and writing is so subjective. it's a gamble of a career and all of the unemployed writers would vouch for that.

i'd love to tell you to follow your heart and do what you love.

but you can enjoy your job and keep writing/photography or other things as your hobby and your passion. perhaps you can also make money out of them.

that's my two cents. guarantee your future, then follow your heart.