Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-14-2004, 02:36 AM
TE Newbie

Default HELP Escolha Dificil - Difficult choice

Dear members, I'm currently preparing to buy my first digital camera. As I suspected it's not an easy decision. First of all, I still haven't decided between a 5MP or an 8Mp.

For the 5MP my preferences are the Olympus 5050 and the Nikon 5400 (don't know if the Nikon 5700 should be considered). Regarding the 8MP cameras my preferences are the Olympus 8080WZ and the Canon Powershot 1 Pro.

Do I have advantage to chose for an 8MP instead of a 5MP camera?

Which of the above mentioned camera would you sugest as the best choise or would you sugest any other one.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 05-14-2004, 06:21 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: HELP Escolha Dificil - Difficult choice

carlos, não conheço esas camaras, não sei qual é melhor, mas voce pode dar uma olhada no site
www.dpreview.com
www.cnet.com
www.megapixel.net
www.theluminouslandscape.com
todos eles tem "product reviews" onde fazem uma critica detalhada dos pros e cons de cada produto,
uma carateristica que eu ADORO da minha camara (mesmo que ela e inferior as que voce esta considerando) é a "swiveling screen"... não sei si alguma desas que voce esta vendo tem... si alguma tivesse eu escolheria esa sem duvida.
boa sorte!! e uma escolha dificil mesmo!!
:) elena
Old 05-14-2004, 12:04 PM
TE Newbie

Hi

Whenever people ask me what to buy, I have one question for them: "How much money do you have to spend?" Then go and buy the best camera you can for the money you have available.

Clearly an 8 megapixel camera is better than a 5 megapixel camera, so if you have the money to buy one of the 8 mp cameras then do it. As for the model, the websites listed in the previous message should help you a lot. You cannot go wrong if you buy a Canon, Nikon or Olympus, they are all great brands.
Old 05-14-2004, 03:31 PM
TE Expert

Heuu??

now I really agree with you when you say that the first question one should ask to himself is the money issue. No doubt. Also agree that you can't really go wrong with the brands you mentioned (as well as many others).

But...your statement - "Clearly an 8 megapixel camera is better than a 5 megapixel camera, so if you have the money to buy one of the 8 mp cameras then do it" - is definitly not correct, in my very humble opinion.

The REAL issues (because there are obviously several issues) are :

1.) to know what you plan to do with the most of your photos (web or printing).
2.) Is portability important
3.) how much control are you looking after on taking your photos
4.) the type of photos you plan to take
etc, etc, etc..

then..and just then, you'll know if more megapixels is or is not important for YOU!

Cheers
Old 05-14-2004, 09:39 PM
TE Expert

clearly an 8 megapixel camera is better than a 5 megapixel

You would think but it ain't really true. I've the Sony DSC-828 Cybershot that was the first 8Mp's bridge camera on the market and the problem with this camera is that noise get really noticable over 200 iso. The noise generated at 200 iso is almost equivalent to the noise generated by 5Mp's camera at 400 iso.
The problem with that type of 8Mp's is that there is obviously more "photosite" arrange on a sensor the same size than a 5Mp's sensor which generate a lot of noise.

I believe that if one want camera with a sensor over 6 Mp's one should look into getting a dSLR.
Old 05-15-2004, 05:30 PM
TE Newbie

If you get a chance, check the shutter lag of any digicam you plan to buy. A friend of mine brought a Nikon 5400 to a workshop, and I can't tell you how many shots of the floor I got having pushed the shutter, guessed it had gone off and then moved the camera. After a couple of times I learned to wait a very long time w/o moving the camera to ensure that I at least got the subject - as for getting a moment, you can do it - my friend got some nice moments by sheer luck - but can not plan it.

That taught me to check shutter lag on when considering digicams. And, for me, the long shutter lag on the Nikon 5400 is a fatal flaw. Since I am not yet in the market for such a camera, I can't tell you which one I would go for, but I can say it wouldn't be the Nikon.

Cheers and good shopping.