Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-06-2004, 08:38 PM
TE Newbie

Default Trek Earth Book

Hi there, I was wondering if there is any intention of making a "Best Of" book with all the best photo's from Trek Earth put into a nice glossy coffee-table book.

There must be many hundreds of absolutely amazing photos, maybe the book could just focus on one genre of photo's...

I'm pretty sure that most members would be very happy to send you a full resolution copy of their original image, these could be checked for manipulation and if they pass the test then they could be included in the book.

I you do something like this and it makes you a bit of money, maybe that could be pumped back into the website itself - more bandwidth (allowing more than 1 photo posting/day) or maybe offering the feature to post higher resolution photos.

Its just an idea, and I'd like to know what other members think about it.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:06 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Trek Earth Book

Hi Dylan -- This idea has been brought up before. You can see some of the ideas and issues that people have raised here.

Mimi
Old 05-06-2004, 10:29 PM
TE Expert

As mimi said this as already brought up.

Also, if posting was reduced to one each day, it wasn't because of a bandwidth problem but because there was to many posting and too little critics written. People who write critics couldn't keep up with amount of picture.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:53 AM
TE Newbie

Yeah sorry, I did a bit of a search on a TE book before I posted this but couldn't find any obvious reference in the first couple of forum pages, so at least this posting is keeping the idea live.

But it still doesn't change the issue here - there seems to be a lot of interest in a Trek Earth Book.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:35 PM

I personally would like to see a publication like that. Even mailed an book editor company to ask about information to contribute to the previous forum discussion but they were not very helpful...

So if anyone could add new informations that would be great.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:12 PM
TE Newbie

Yes, this topic has been discussed at length before.

But it's good to see that someone brings it up every now and again. Just shows that it still is a good idea!

:-)
Old 05-08-2004, 12:03 AM
TE Expert

I discussed this a while back with a former college acquaintence who happens to now own a small publishing company and they did not see the point of it, beyond promotional reasons.

I personally feel there would be potential for such a book, but what do I know? If anyone would like to help finding a publisher for such a project, please let me know.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:44 PM

"they did not see the point of it"

Adam, I believe that the main reason your friend didn't see the point in publishing a book with TE photos may be that it "lacks" a specific theme.

The first thing would be to think about a theme for the book, to create a message that would be passed by the book. Without that it would "just" be a book with pretty pictures. We've got the clay now we need to know what to do with it, pots, sculptures... :o)

I know that much of the photos would be out of a publishig like this that then again could open doors for other publishings later with other themes...

I believe the Scavengers Hunt could be a good starting point. Imagine to create themes that would be globally portraited. A world vision about certain issues! Landscape, poverty, boats, lighthouses, etc.

Whith the SH and the existing portfolio there's a lot of material to work on. Maybe we could start thinking on the theme's and the message that would be passed by the book and then things could become more interesing for the publishers.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:37 PM
TE Newbie

Default Trek Earth Book Themes.

Okay, well if there is anybody who reads this post who has some time in their hands to go through the gallery, please start pulling out some themes that there seem to be enough quality photo's of to full a book.

I saw a book a while back that was based on photo's taken during a 24 hour period of time. They were all placed in a chronological order, and sort of themed themselves. I realise though that it would be slightly different on a global scale - the photo's could possibly be put into 'local time' order so that all the morning shots from around the world are placed in order. So it would start with, for example, people coming home from night shift, those waking up, work, afternoon, evening social. Then all you need to do is place a loose theme on the pics - like people photos or landscape photos.

But for something like this to work you need a lot of people to know about it so you need to plan it for a while. A good time of the year to do this would probably be on one of equinox dates so that day and night is basically the same length of time around the planet. The next equinox falls on September 22 2004. That should hopefully give us some time to prepare...
Old 05-11-2004, 10:34 PM
TE Senior Member

It seems like a book like that would be a lot of effort for a little money.

One idea I have -- but, again, not sure if it would be worth the effort to set up the interface -- is to have custom calendars where the buyer can choose all photos that appear in the calendar. They would choose from all photos for which users have supplied high-resolution photos and given their permission. I think this has higher sales potential since members would likely buy them for themselves and as gifts (& repeat in subsequent years).

Kind of like
http://www.cafepress.com/cp/info/products/productdetail.aspx?prodtypeno=75