Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 12:47 PM
TE Newbie

Default Missing coutries... I guess there are more than mine...

French Polynesisa,

The cook Islands,

Niue,

Tonga,

Vanuatu,

New Caledonia,

Micronesia,

Tuvalu,

Kirabati,

I cant think of any more just now....
Old 04-17-2004, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Missing coutries...

Bonjour Devon,

I don't know about most of these countries - Webmaster Adam will add any asked countries'names after request - but I for sure know New Caledonia & French Polynesia are understood as part of France, so you must click Gallery > Europe > France > Regions: Other

Amicalement - Viviane
Old 04-17-2004, 02:45 PM
TE Newbie

Salut,

Part of france huh?

I wonder what the Kanaks or Polynesians would think of that.

Personally I feel that they deserve their own section.

But thanks for the advice.
Old 04-17-2004, 03:45 PM
TE Junior Member

I believe the New Caledonians had a referrendum some time ago to determine what they felt about that; they're still a territory of France though they got a lot more autonomy as a result.
Old 04-17-2004, 03:55 PM
TE Expert

Salut,

French Polynesia and New Caledonia are parts of France just like Quebec is part of Canada ;-)
Old 04-17-2004, 07:04 PM
TE Newbie

Hey buddy, listen up here,

Maybe a history lesson is appropriate,

Quebec was colonized by the FRENCH, not the CANADIANS. Before Canada WAS canada. They came together peacefully almost a hundred and fifty years ago, and the shortlived seperatist movement of the late eighties and early nineties is now DEAD.

French Polynesia however, was taken by force in 1838 after they kicked out two missionaries. What followed (not only in FP) was a systematic distruction of their culture. Since then, the French Goverment has rendered two atolls uninhabitable through Nuclear testing and refuses to release medical records the've taken from clinics regarding radiation poisioning as far as 500 miles from the blast sights. After the tests, they agreed to send them shitloads of money. The way this money is distributed does nothing for the local economy and now the country is completely dependant on aid. The french government in the agreements of 1996 claimed that they would pull out completely in 2006, which would REALLY mess up the country.

the Polynesians in FP HATE the French. I've talked to a few men on a few islands who told me that they would like to shoot the next french person they saw. The exception of course is the Polynesians who work for the government and get paid european salaries. This creates a floating economy and the result is that 80 Percent of polynesians rely on subsistance fishing to feed themselves because the cost of goods is too high.

In all my time there, my conclusion is that the french government is carrying out systematic repression of the polynesian people.

So in this way, it is VERY unlike the quebec issue.

New Caledonia, I will admit, is a far less dire situation, as somebody noted before, they had a referendum in the late 90's and were granted much more political freedom. For now at least, there is no violence in Newcal like their was before. Also, the culture in Newcal is much more European, and most Kanaks are happy with that. Still, in outcome of the referendum. France agreed to begin handing over power in small bits.

New Caledonia is in Transition.

Which Quebec is not. So New Caledonia is therefore nothing like Quebec.

I fear that I sound anti-french. I am not. In fact, I dont even mind the French Government. But on these particular issues I think their claims are completely unfounded and unfair. I dont think this reflects on French People, so for all the fabulously talented french photographers out there, please dont be offended.

Hate to get political, but he started it.
Old 04-17-2004, 08:38 PM
TE Expert

Hate to get political, but he started it.

Sorry mate, I wasn't getting political, just did a joke (maybe stupid but still a joke).
Old 04-18-2004, 12:44 AM
TE Junior Member

Default other countries

I was thinking about benin some time ago. That's in Africa.
Old 04-18-2004, 03:18 AM
TE Expert

As for your list of missing countries Adam has so far applied the policy of adding some whenever a member from that country registers or someone needs to load a photo from that country.

I agree there are lots of counties not listed yet, specifically from the south pacific region. but you'd then have to add more to your list such as Palau, the Solomon islands, the Marshall islands, etc. (note that the federated states of Micronesia are already listed in TE).

With regards to your list, note that Niue is associated to New Zealand and as such is not a UN member and therefore cannot be considered as a separate "country". I think it would rather be listed as for instance Vatican is under Italy.

I've read some of your thoughts about New Caledonia and French Polynesia, needless to say for people who lived 10 years in the South Pacific like me during the period of independance for some islands and tension for others, some of your writings owe more to personal opinion than history.

I have to add that a few of your sentences are the result of a superficial knowing of the islands such as your claim that culture in N-Caledonia is more "european"... whereas custom laws are precisely one knot of the NC problems.
BTW, If some Polynesians in FP hate the french, which is for a very limited number of people true, you would hate to know how they call all anglophones, but that's another story...

I'm not reacting against what is said about french policy in the pacific which has been in some points helpful and in others unuseful to the people and the countries, but to a very superficial and unfair vision of the past. Let's not forget some pretended "kind" neighbouring countries (Australia) have consciously destroyed any hope of economic self-development in Vanuatu, in the purpose it could compete with their own (the exemple of destruction being cattle breeding set up with the help of the former french government)-.

I also suggest, "buddy", we stop the politics talk YOU started because you and me don't know all of the undercovers, which are aplenty in the south pacific, torn apart between US, australian, Japanese, British, French and now Chinese influences.

Cheers.
L.
Closed Thread