Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 06-21-2004, 07:03 PM
TE Expert

Default Macedonia vs. Macedonia FYR

It has recently come to my attention that the official name for Macedonia is "Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia" due to the fact that there is a Greek region called Macedonia. So I changed the country name to "Macedonia FYR". It seems that there is no official conventional short form "Macedonia".

What do others think, is "Macedonia FYR" the best choice for TE? Any opinions?
Old 06-21-2004, 10:54 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Macedonia vs. Macedonia FYR

As far as I know it is correct to change the country name Macedonia, because it is actually called the republic of Macedonia. But why do you make it "Macedonia FYR"? I believe it is called only "Republic of Macedonia". Correct me if I am mistaken. Has anybody else suggestions?
Old 06-22-2004, 01:58 AM
TE Junior Member

Yes the official name is "The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia" (or FYROM in shortcut).
Many fights have been given some years ago between the neighbor countries to establish an official name accepted by all, and this is what it was decided.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:54 AM
TE Senior Member

"...is "Macedonia FYR" the best choice for TE?"

I believe so. Last time I saw it presented that way was during the "Eurovision Song Contest", which is supervised by EBU (European Broadcasting Union).

Also ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organisation) list it that way in their publications.

Best regards,
Kaj
Old 01-31-2006, 06:02 AM
TE Newbie

Ok, I will give it a try to explain it as neutral as I can and as short as I can.

It is (presently) more than correct to call the slavic country "FYROM or FYR Macedonia" and not plain "Macedonia".

The reason is the following one:

As Macedonia has been and still is a big part of Greece, and with that closed connected the ancient history (like Alexander the Great, Philipp II, byblical mentioned Macedonia, Macedonians...) and all descedents of that, Greece wants a clear difference to his "new" neighbour, which is more than obviously of Slavic origin and not of Greek. You should know that Greece and Greeks are very proud of their history and they(we) do not want to devide/share it with non-Greeks.

There is a misleading policy in FYROM: They treated the people like being "Macedonians" round about 100 years now (and that is the problem) but they do not consider the fact, that to be Macedonian you have to be Greek. And due to this misleading internal policy of FYROM the people really believe that they are Macedonians and nothing else. And with that they started to claim rights in Greek history and more than that (example: they seperate the Macedonians from the other Greek tribes, they say for instance the Macedonians against the Greeks --> WRONG, because it has to be the Macedonians against the Athenians and the Tracian, which were all of Greek origin and at that time not united and they did not like the other "tribes")

To shorten the whole, you have to understand the following facts concerning the ancient Macedonian=Greek history.

All coins, evidences and all you can imagine concerning the ancient Macedonian history are in GREEK. The nowaday misleading term "Macedonian" in context with FYROM is a Slavic language, so totally different to the Greek one and for a lot of linguistics this language is nothing more than a Bulgarian dialect (or at least the closest language to the Bulgarian).

And here we have the problem. To be Macedonian you have to be Greek, like to be Texan you have to be "American" and not let me say Mexican.

And that is why FYROM is officially is called FYROM, to seperate this country from the Greek region of Macedonia. Due to political "games" the term Macedonia and Macedonian become an ambiguously term... :-(

Compare here Macedonian (Greek, short "gr") with Macedonian Slav (short "msl"):

Alexander the Great
Alexandros Makedon ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝ = gr
Aleksandar Makedonski АЛЕКСАНДАР МАКЕДОНСКИ = msl (and written in cyrillic)

Macedonia
Makedonia ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΑ = gr
Makedonija МАКЕДОНИЈА = msl

Macedonian (neutrum)
Makedonika μακεδονικά = gr
Makedonski македонски = msl

You will NEVER find on coins, documents etc. with the Slavic form concerning Macedonian origin, all findings are held and written in GREEK. Just look up for some ancient Macedonian coins and you will understand.

FYROM has to understand that they cannot use the term "Macedonia, Macedonian..." for their (I miss the word here) and Greece has to understand the the term "Macedonia,Macedonian..." is in nowadays not only for Greek use in international business.

So the best solution would be in my opinion Macedonia remains Macedonia for us Greeks (as for approx. 3000 years up to now) and for FYROM permantly Slavomacedonia or Macedonian Slav... both have to understand this sensible theme, the one based on facts and continuity (Greeks) and the others based on a misleading use of the term "Macedonia".

As it is nearly impossible to make things unhappened, there should be a "good willing" movement of both sides. Greece has shown several times such kind of movements, FYROM not; they want "Macedonia" only for their own.

There is a general misunderstanding in FYROM concerning the whole "Macedonian issue". They rename historical facts into "Macedonian.." and so on. All studied people know for instance that the Zsar Samuil was of Bulgarian origin, in FYROM they call him "Macedonian" and never "Bulgarian". And the best example is this one: The revolutioner Goce Delcev was born in Kilkis (Greece), in that time under the occupation of Ottoman Empire(Turkey)and he visited the "Bulgarian school" of Thessaloniki in that time (there was never mentioned a "Macedonian" school in the meaning of slavic...) and he spoke Bulgarian; in nowadays the "FYR Macedonians" claim him to be "Macedonian"... and so on and so on.

I will stop it here, I hope you can comprehend a bit of this sensibel issue.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:40 PM
TE Expert

Hello,
Very interesting explanation, I guess the same thing can be said of people coming from the US.
It is called the United States of America, but for short they call themselves Americans and their country America. THis is historically incorrect as America was the name given to the whole continent based on Italian Explorer Americo Vespucci, who explored the coast of South AMerica. So to be accurate everyone from Alaska to Patagonia is American and the US should not call themselves America,
But I think its too late to get it back ;(
Old 02-06-2006, 01:17 PM
TE Junior Member

I think that Saki Makedon gave a complete answer to that issu.
I recal once and only time havin presed the tos violation cause someone from FYROM had posted a provocative photo on that issu and i thank you for removing it.
Regards Sotirios