Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great petrudamsa 2006-01-10 5:35

Hi David, I was following your link from TN to see your posts from Koreea. They are indeed quite interesting amid the fact that were overlooked and underappreciated so far.
So let's the journey beggin...
What's intriguiging me on this one is the sign on the rooftop that resembles a svastica.I think it has another signification though, for the koreean people has nothing to do with nazism. Could be other way thou, that nazis took some symbols from other ancient religions and people!

Regards, Petru

Old 01-11-2006, 12:00 PM
TE Newbie

Default To petrudamsa: Korea was quite the land of fascination for

Hi Petru,
I am honored that you are taking the time to view these older pictures of mine. Here is a link about the history of the swastika Here is a little excerpt from that link: What Does the Swastika Mean Now?

There is a great debate as to what the swastika means now. For 3,000 years, the swastika meant life and good luck. But because of the Nazis, it has also taken on a meaning of death and hate.

These conflicting meanings are causing problems in today's society. For Buddhists and Hindus, the swastika is a very religious symbol that is commonly used. Chirag Badlani shares a story about one time when he went to make some photocopies of some Hindu Gods for his temple. While standing in line to pay for the photocopies, some people behind him in line noticed that one of the pictures had a swastika. They called him a Nazi.

Unfortunately, the Nazis were so effective at their use of the swastika emblem, that many do not even know any other meaning for the swastika. Can there be two completely opposite meanings for one symbol?

Well, I'm up in the very early morning briefly(03:54). I need to catch some more sleep because I journey later (07:00) to take my son back to college and my baby daughter out for her 14th birthday. We plan on a small african safari to the zoo...;-) And, lunch at a nice resturant somewhere. Hopefully, I'll return with some decent variety from what is becoming my normal bird shots...
Thanks for looking Petru my friend! May you have a great day!
Best Regards,
Dave