Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 03-07-2004, 11:21 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Nikon Hits Hard

Wow, at least here in Taiwan, Nikon is certainly making a huge push to take market share away from Canon in the entry level DSLR market.

I was on Bo-Ai Road yesterday, which is the street in Taipei where the highest concentration of photography shops are (probably 20-25 within 3 blocks of each other), and talk about advertising!!! Every Nikon dealer had huge sandwich boards outside, advertising special prices on some of their point and shoots, but also, on the ground outside many of the stores were about 18 inch by 18 inch squares advertising the D70, many stores also had tables outside with POP literature for the taking.

Go inside the stores, and every store seemed to have a big, brand new poster showing every Nikon camera ever, as well as more D70 paraphenalia. I believe the D70 does not go on sale until next week, but every store also had a boxed camera on display. Further, almost every employee at every Nikon dealer was wearing a white logoed D70 golf shirt.

I just could not believe the amount of Nikon white and yellow avertising I saw today. Certainly Canon didn't do this here with the release of the digital rebel (maybe they didn't need to?). Nikon obviously is betting heavily on the success of this camera and seems to be cutting no corners in making it known it is about to become available.

Wish I watched Chinese TV, wonder if they are doing advertising there as well.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:09 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Nikon Hits Hard

The D70 is also eagerly awaited here in South Africa, and some people I know already pre-ordered the new Nikon quite some time ago.

Seems like the D70 is an improvement on the Canon 300D in most respects. Check out http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond70/ for a comparison between the models.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:10 PM
TE Newbie

Very interesting. The D70 is also eagerly awaited here in South Africa (although we haven't seen that much advertising here), and some people I know already pre-ordered the new Nikon quite some time ago.

Seems like the D70 is an improvement on the Canon 300D in most respects. Check out http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond70/ for a comparison between the models.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:39 PM
TE Senior Member

From what I have read, the D70 certainly should be a step up from the Rebel, but time will tell on that I think. Actually, about a week ago, I had the opportunity to handle the D70 in a major electronics retailer here in Taipei. To be honest, the handling let me down somewhat. I guess I know it has to be this way, but the D70 does not feel near as solid or substantial as the D100, 10D, *ist'D, SD10, S2Pro, but it is at least on a par with the digital Rebel. I am sure it will be a great camera, I just was hoping for a little better feel. I guess one of the concessions to cost is that things just can't be quite as rock solid when price is a major consideration in the design. Nonetheless, I really hope the D70 stirs things up and is a huge success. The consumer will be the big winner once competition becomes more fierce.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:14 PM
TE Newbie

Yes, the D70's plastic body is the main reason for the competetive price, and also for the lack of build quality you felt when you handled it. As far as features go, it is actually not far behind the D100. Anyway, I fully agree with you that the consumer should be the winner here. Looking forward to the next saga in the price war on entry-level digital SLR's :-)
Old 03-09-2004, 02:01 AM
TE Newbie

Well the D70 is expected here in the UK in about mid march. if the dealers can get any. by the sounds of it, the way nikon are mixing it up all around the world means we consumers might be in for a bit of a wait. unless we have pre-ordered as thousands have been. The bad news is; any price wars between models will have to wait until the demand dies down, those hoping to find the d70 at major reductions will have to keep saving...