Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great feather 2005-09-30 9:23

Wonderful image David. You started with a good composition and your PP work is well described. I've not explored the use of channels yet; it seems to get closer to film B&W than desaturating. How does it compare to film when printed? (My husband used to develop and print B&W and I can't convince him about digital.)
Kath

Old 10-01-2005, 12:28 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To feather: Print Quality

Hi Kath,

You've left some helpful notes on several of my last photos, so first a hearty thanks for your comments and suggestions!

The channel mixer is a wonderful tool for converting to b/w, but as for print quality, that has more to do with the proof you're viewing. In Photoshop, you'll see a View menu, and you can choose the proof. For web work, I keep mine on Windows, even though I have a Mac, since more people browse my photos with Windows-based applications and, more importantly, monitors. For making prints, I usually use the CMYK proof view, which is often more similar to Mac monitors than to PC monitors.

I remember the smell of a darkroom very well. But I now have much more control over the entire process with ditigal, which is why most film photographers, even if they keep their film cameras, end up scanning their slides and work on them in Photoshop. You can really and truly duplicate any effect of the darkroom in Photoshop now, but quality of print has more to do with the megapixels of the photo and how it is viewed on screen. The channel mixer is just way to manipulate color.

Thanks again!

David
Old 10-01-2005, 01:23 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: To feather: Print Quality

Thanks David. I'm not up to your speed yet, but have just enrolled on a pp course so hope to learn a lot more.
Kath