Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 04-13-2005, 09:58 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Any reason not a too many ppl use Nikon DSLR?

Each system has its advantages and disadvantages. You have to make your choice based on your own criteria not ours. Here is what I know

Static Auto-focusing: Nikon has a little edge on Canon due to the slight oblique placements of the auto-focus sensors.

Dynamic Auto-focusing: Canon AI is better at following a subject with constant direction. Nikon is a bit better at zigzagging subjects. This is only true for the top end cameras. The pro-sumer or consumer line behavior is the same.

Auto-focus speed: This is highly dependent on the lens so talking about focusing speed without the coupling of the camera and the lens is useless. Some Canon lens is faster than Nikon and vice-versa.

Digital Sensor Technology : Canon is better as of now. In the future, who knows.

Lens System : Canon has more auto-focus lens, Nikon has more manual. Canon EF lens system is 100% compatible with all Canon Digital SLR, Nikon lens system is a mess until you knows what all of those AF, DG, D, G, etc... abbreviations is about and what limitation they imposed on a particular Nikon body. Canon is a 900 pounds gorilla and if they can't develop their own technology, they will and have acquired tech from others even from Nikon if needed be.

Flash System : Nikon just get on par with Canon with the release of the new SB-800. Nikon body is very particular about the flash that mount on it, you'd better make sure that it means more than compatible.

As with any system, you will be the one who has to live with it not us. Think of it like a marriage :D.

Thien
Old 04-13-2005, 10:18 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: this brand or that brand.....

for anyone really struggling with brands and all that I suggest visiting Gringofil's pbase gallery shot with cell phone camera....if the equipment in between the ears isn't good, the one in front of the eye won't help.

http://www.pbase.com/filipdabrowski/640x480

Peter
Old 04-14-2005, 12:05 AM
TE Expert

You have explained it very nicely Thien.

Andre'
Old 04-14-2005, 01:12 AM
TE Expert

Love it: All the techs. in full swing....

..what about which car brand should we go for?

.. or as the other day: Which artist do we prefer...

..not to forget: Where should we buy it, or as another dicussion went: How can I get it for nothing..

hmmm..
Old 04-14-2005, 04:20 AM
TE Senior Member

Actually Claude, I am afraid I do have reason to say that. I haven't used the 20D, but have had a number of tries with the 10D and 300D that have left me dissappointed to say the least.Mine is just an opinion of course, but my confidence in Canon is not high whatsoever. Obviously you get great results with the Canon, I just have had different experiences with the 10D especially and my understanding is that the metering of the 20D is more or less the same. Everyone has different needs and desires I guess.

Take care.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:08 AM
TE Junior Member

I too see it as comparing a red apple to a green apple, and photography is in the eye and not in the gear. So I was curious as to why so many would choose a Canon over a Nikon since they are both so similar. Chances are, I will be switching over to the D70/D70s instead of sticking with Canon. The D70 just feels right in my hands where as the 350D feels like a toy. The 80-200mm f/2.8 Nikkor lens is also cheaper than the 70-200 f/2.8L lens offered by Canon. Since neither the D20, D70, or anything under $3,000 has weather proofing, it's all the same to me since I will be using my camera for mostly photojournalist assignments. That being said, megapixels doesn't really concern me and nor does a lot of the features such as mirror lock. As I understand it Canon is better for shooting sports due to the Autofocus and Nikon is a good all around. Also price wise, I think a Nikon is cheaper for me. I can get the D70 Kit (comes with 18-80mm f/3.5-4.5 lens that is on par with the EF-S 18-80mm IS lens) + 80-200mm f/2.8 lens for around $1600, but if I go the 350D route then I will have to get the 17-40mm f/4L, 70-200 F/4L and the costs would be considerably higher.

Too bad I will have to relearn all the button configuration now since I am switching brands. Does anyone know what most photojournalists use just incase I want to swap gear later on? Thanks everyone!
Old 04-14-2005, 01:32 PM
TE Expert

Darren,

I'm not specially interested in technical comparisons but the techncal stuff I know is that logically you can't compare the EOS10D nor the 300D to the 20D as this a completly new sensor and everyone says the 20D is much closer to the MkII than to the 10D/300D generation.

On the other hand I haven't had any problems with the 20D metering. Metering is usually brand dependent, it goes for digital as it went for film cameras, there's a Leica metering as there is a Canon metering, Nikon is usually considered to be halfway between : it needs to be understood individually to get the correct exposure.

It has been measured that for instance, when you rate a 200ISO on the 20D, you get a real 250ISO, (knowing that I use a permanent compensation of -2/3IL on my camera, but I know this is additional ammunition in case of...) while on the D70 you only get a true 160ISO and this is why some people say Nikon highlights are correctly recorded without any burnt lights. Also the D70 couples this with a highlight toe correction trick in the software, a bit like playing with the curve in PS, in order to diminish contrast.
But when the raw recording capabilities of each sensor have been measured, it appears that the CMOS sensor is superior in recording highlight detail than the Nikon CCD. Also when you come to high speed such as 1600ISO, the EOS20D will provide you something like 1800ISO while Nikon would actually rate a 1250ISO... Hence, I believe a part of the explanation of why Nikon is so noisy in the darker parts comes from pushing the limits of the sensor with underexposure.
Definitely and for my own "lowlight/no tripod ever" use, Canon is steps ahead, it gives me additional shutter speed.

Also you should consider it's a sign that for their newest professional camera release, Nikon has integrated a CMOS sensor... if they now reckon they went on the wrong path, then I'm afraid it will increase Canon's technological advance at least for the very next releases...

Cheers
Luko
Old 04-14-2005, 01:42 PM
TE Senior Member

I am not a tecnical buff. Luko just explained it very well.
One thing though.
I have been working with EOS1 and EOS3 and I just find it impossible nowadays
to work with another brand. Just because of the wheel on the back, I use it constantly.
That's also why I woudn't want a 300D or 350 D.

Let's also be childish...
I love the Canon design compared to the bulky look of Nikon.
I love those rounded shapes..
But as I said in a link, it'snot the camera that will do the picture.
I am sure you can get good one , as we see, with the D70..
Cheers
Claude
Old 04-14-2005, 07:05 PM
TE Expert

jajajaja Mark!

You made me laugh.
It is certainly a fact that everyone has a goal and some aspects considered regarding the use intended for a camera.

To me the Digital XT works just fine, and I like the way it feels in my hands (for you it is a toy). I tried the bigger models and I think they are nice but a bit big to me of course.

Now I have the impression that you already were decided (about the D70) before posting the thread asking for opinions.

To get a more objective review? you can take a look at

www.dpreview.com

I am quite sure that there are other reviews on the internet.
Thanks for posting such an interesting topic.

K.
Pd.: Gal was right, Canon manufactures also nice pocket calculators!
Old 04-14-2005, 07:25 PM
TE Senior Member

I think you are exactly right here Claude. Being familiar with your equipment makes the other aspects of photography so much easier. Actually, liking the design of Canon/Nikon, etc is not totally unimportant either. No matter what it is I am buying, I don't want it to be ugly. If you are into high end audio by change, you will know that at the upper level, equipment not only sounds wonderful, but looks and feels just as great. Why would we not want our camera gear to please us aethsetically as well? I fully admit my experience with Canon in the past has tainted me against the brand. I also can admit quite happily that both the 350D and the 20D seem to be excellent cameras: both better than what they are replacing by a good margin. Who knows, sometime I might become a Canon owner? I do covet a few of their lenses to be sure. I also covet their 1 series for sure, though not the prices.

You are most right in what you say that is is not the camera that gets the results, it is the photographer. I am sure you could get great images from a Lomo. I am pleased with what I get from my Pentax (not Nikon, haha).