Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great ppe 2009-06-16 13:11

Looks like a warm, lovely day. Interesting architecture you have there. Despite of the summer, I can't help wondering how they manage with the snow during the winter. The street sign is just perfect.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:27 PM
TE Senior Member

Default To ppe: Winter Conditions in SE Alaska

We have everything from three-foot, long-lasting piles (such as we did this year), to no snow on some years. We're right on the ocean so we don't usually get much snow. Our roads do get treacherous though, with black ice and slush, so driving can be hazardous in the winter. Our winter temperatures are usually mild, about 35-45 degrees F. Our summer temperatures are also mild, in the range of 45-55 degrees F. Of course, there are exceptions to these ranges, both on the low and high end. Judy
Old 06-19-2009, 10:55 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To ppe: Winter Conditions in SE Alaska

Here in Finland, it depends very much about the location. The least amount of snow is typically found at the SW coast and the most in NW even though in general, there is more snow in the east (further from the sea) but in Lapland sea is not the issue. The amount of snow we have during the winter has been slowly degrading, even though it can vary very much from one year to another here where I live. I can remember from my childhood from the 80's that we always had a white Christmas and there was plenty of snow for skiing, both of which are not self-evident today. The temperature is now (middle of the day) 56F - which is a bit low for this time of year. Typical would be around 70F, although this whole June has been very cold. One night it was even below freezing point. At this region the typical day temperature varies between 20-40F (Nov-Feb) / 55-75F (Jun-Aug).
Old 07-25-2009, 02:59 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: To ppe: Winter Conditions in SE Alaska

Sounds like us!