View Single Post
Old 11-27-2005, 04:36 AM

Default Re: Equipment Issues

1. Where should your money go on a digital camera. On the actual body or the lenses.

Both. Although software can do a lot, it can't bring back lost information - in other words you can sharpen existing detail, if the detail was never captured you can't re-create it. The more processing you have to do, the more time consuming it is too...

That said, even low end modern dSLRs are pretty good these days. The only reason for going with a higher model is if you need a higher pixel count (for bigger enlargements), or some other feature that isn't present on the low end. Have a look at (say) the EOS 350D/DigitalRebelXT, download the samples (remember the field of view crop is 1.6x though), and then try the same with an EOS5D and then make up your own mind.

2. I should upgrade my PC. Should I upgrade and stay with a PC or is there any advantage to using a mac?

Without knowing the existing spec of your machine, it's hard to say. Personally I wouldn't bother with a Mac unless you fancy a change, Apple did, so there will be all-new Intel based Macs next year ;)