Fotos

Photographer's Note

The church of Santo Domingo has the distinction of having two facades. The main one, that looks towards the Romea square, and the one that looks towards the Santo Domingo square, all of brick, (cornices, towers, cattails, etc.) that fulfills only an urban function, since it lacks entrance doors.

Peculiar is also the existence in its interior of two choirs, one at the foot of it and another in front of the chapel of the Rosary, which allowed the Dominican religious to witness the liturgy that took place in it. The Chapel of the Rosary in the church of Santo Domingo, begun its construction at the expense of the Brotherhood of the Rosary in 1543, was consecrated in 1575.

The Brotherhood also commissioned two floors of rooms overlooking the Plaza de Santo Domingo (formerly Market Square), which overlapped the Chapel, which were rented as viewpoints during the holidays and all kinds of events.

--------------------------------------------------

La iglesia de Santo Domingo tiene la particularidad de contar con dos fachadas. La principal, que mira hacia la plaza Romea, y la que mira hacia la plaza de Santo Domingo, toda de ladrillo, (cornisas, torres, espadañas, etc.) que cumple únicamente una función urbanística, pues carece de puertas de entrada.

Peculiar es también la existencia en su interior de dos coros, uno a los pies de la misma y otro frente a la capilla del Rosario, que permitía a los religiosos dominicos presenciar la liturgia que tuviera lugar en ella. La Capilla del Rosario en la iglesia de Santo Domingo, iniciada su construcción a expensas de la Cofradía del Rosario en 1543, se consagró en 1575.

La Cofradía encargó también dos plantas de aposentos con vistas a la Plaza de Santo Domingo (antes plaza del Mercado), que se superponían a la Capilla, los cuales eran alquilados como miradores durante las fiestas y toda clase de actos.

Photo Information
Viewed: 294
Points: 46
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 7838 W: 5 N: 13783] (61408)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH