Fotos

Photographer's Note

This is the second and last posting on Mount Macedon. The main picture is a close view of the cross against a blue sky, WS1 is the view of the cross from the surrounding gardens and WS2 is a view of one of the four plates decorating the pedestal of the cross.

The Memorial Cross at Mount Macedon stands on a high point of the Macedon Ranges about 1010 meters above sea level and 65 kilometers northwest of Melbourne. The Cross was the brain-child of Mr. William Cameron, a businessman living in Mount Macedon.

His purpose in building the Cross was to be a permanent memorial to the Australian soldiers who died in World War 1 as well as to provide work during the construction for the unemployed of the district during the great depression of the early 1930’s.

The structure was a steel frame covered with specially made tiles by Wunderlich of Melbourne. It was thirty one meters in height. The Cross was dedicated in 1935 by the then Premier, Sir Stanley Argyle.

William Cameron not only provided the inspiration and the determination to follow up his plans for the Cross but provided funds for a new road into the site - now called Cameron Drive and funds for its future maintenance. A very attractive garden was also created by Mr. Cameron around the Cross and along the entrance path with extensive terracing and a water supply for the planted trees and shrubs.

Unfortunately time, weather and fire produced its toll over the succeeding half century or so. The Cross was hit by lightning in 1975 which damaged the tile cladding and allowed the entry of water which commenced a corrosion process on the structural steel core. It was then hit by the 1983 Ash Wednesday fire which completely destroyed all the surrounding garden and native forest of snow gums.

In 1995 a new Cross was dedicated by the then Governor Mr. Richard McGarvie AC. It is of the same dimensions as the original Cross but constructed of stainless steel reinforced concrete with the exterior simulating the tiles of the original Cross. Some 250,000 people visit the Cross each year and enjoy the magnificent views in several directions and appreciate the inspiration of our forefathers and pay tribute to the Australian Armed Services from all Wars, who fought for the freedom of their country.


Ref: http://home.vicnet.net.au/~mmmct/welcome.htm

ISO: 100

Photo Information
Viewed: 3832
Points: 172
Discussions
Additional Photos by Antonio Ribeiro (ribeiroantonio) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 4806 W: 470 N: 6473] (22730)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH