Fotos

Photographer's Note

Complex of St. Anthony Abbot
At about 500 meters from the start of the footpath to Monteluco, a detour through a scenic shady and flat, leading to the complex of St. Anthony Abbot, probable site of an ancient hermitage.
Alexander VI, with short of 15 February 1494, preserved in archives, granted to the Minor Observance of Umbria, to accept the donation of Pietrosanto, (Piersanto Cecili, said Saccoccio) Giovanni Antonio and Pierpaolo the Church of St. Anthony at Monteluco of Spoleto, so you should build a monastery. As requested by donors, the friars should celebrate in perpetuity "unum anniversarium" for their souls to the feast of St. Anthony.
The minutes of sacred canonical visitation of 1723 says unknown date of the founding of the Convent and the Church; However, we know that the Observant took possession in 1568. The convent was provided with 22 rooms, a dining hall, some rooms work, kitchen and cellar; But had not the library. In the church there were five altars - one for each fraternity - and provided a sacristy. The Infirmary was to S. Paolo inter vineas Spoleto: the annual contribution amounted to four shields. The friars were running two Hospices: one in Spoleto and the other in Beroide, five miles away.
The brothers resided in the convent until 1810, when it was acquired by the state during the suppression ordered by the French government.
Subsequently it was no longer reopened.
In 1867 we gathered the Garibaldini of Mentana, three years after it was bought by the company working mutual aid "Luigi Pianciani", becoming the seat.
During the First World War about two hundred prisoners of war, especially Hungarians, were employed in the work of the opening of the new carriage road to Monteluco and were accommodated in the hermitage of San Antonio, which at that time still belonged to the Company working "Pianciani ".
Later became the property of the City of Spoleto and there were housed poor families.
Now it is completely abandoned.
The church has a nave with rudimentary chapels projecting, kept a large wooden ceiling century, now almost completely lost.
The convent, much altered, still keeps a beautiful portico century stone and brick, completely overgrown.
The cloister leads to an underground chamber, probably what remains of the old church, a long room with vaulted ceiling, very damaged, decorated with frescoes, until a few years ago still legible, though obscured by smoke, depicting Franciscan friars in half figure, probably of the sixteenth century, in the wall of the access ladder is depicted a risen Christ, fresco of the seventeenth century.
Also from the cloister leads to a wide corridor of a century, with vaults on corbels carved and lunettes interesting frescoes of the second half of the sixteenth century, which are characterized by special iconographic and a singular primitive character.
The scenes were already difficult to read a few years ago and in need of restoration, depict: The crucifix speaks to St. Francis; The renunciation of possessions; Meeting of St. Francis with St. Clare; The leper; Forgiveness of Assisi; St. Francis offers the Child in Santa Chiara. The cycle could continue in the lunettes corresponding to the side of the cloister today whitewashed.
From the monastery you can easily reach through a short path, the rolling stock from Spoleto to Monteluco, exiting at km. 3.3.

ikeharel, ourania, elysan, annjackman marcou esta nota como útil

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 16510 W: 130 N: 34118] (190215)
  • Genre: Lugares
  • Medium: Cor
  • Date Taken: 2014-12-19
  • Categories: Natureza, Arquitectura
  • Exposição: f/5.0, 1/100 segundos
  • More Photo Info: view
  • Versão da Foto: Versão Original
  • Date Submitted: 2014-12-20 2:32
Viewed: 1726
Points: 36
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 16510 W: 130 N: 34118] (190215)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH