Photographer's Note

Another beautiful corner from Sile at the Black Sea shores.
Also those houses are still in use, allthough been built some 200 years ago (if not more), using a special technique.
First a wooden frame was been built and than the walls are created with a mixture of mud, dry woods and hay.
This creates a wonderfull stability and protects from extreme coldness as well as heat.

The small village close to the harbour of Sile is been called Yeniköy (=New village) and was been named in older times "Nea Hori" in Greek language.
The population of the village at those times were mainly Greeks -living in Turkey- and in later years inhabited by Turks, who came in the year 1923 from Greece to Turkey.
The number of Turks who came from Greece to Turkey is been estimated around 500.000 and the number of Greeks who went away from Turkey to Greece is around 1.200.000 .
For shure one of the most dark chapters of the history for both Turks and Greeks.

ikeharel, COSTANTINO, kasianowak, jhm, Fis2, jean113, pierrefonds marcou esta nota como útil

Photo Information
Viewed: 0
Points: 32
  • None
Additional Photos by Mesut ILGIM (mesutilgim) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 7226 W: 510 N: 22366] (117864)
View More Pictures