Fotos

Photographer's Note

Alcántara es un municipio de la provincia extremeña de Cáceres (España), situada en la orilla izquierda del río Tajo, en su confluencia con el río Alagón, cerca de Portugal. Su nombre moderno proviene del término árabe Al Qantarat, que quiere decir El Puente debido al puente romano situado en sus inmediaciones. Es capital de la comárca histórica de la Tierra de Alcántara.

Los visigodos la llamaron "Oliva", pero los árabes la rebautizaron como "Kantara-ass-saif" que significa Puente de la Espada. En 1213 fue reconquistada por el rey Alfonso IX que se la entregó a la Orden de Calatrava para que la defendiera de los árabes. Sin embargo, al estar la Orden tan lejos de Alcántara, se la entregaron a la Orden de San Julián de Pereiroa, que pasó a llamarse Orden de Alcántara. En 1479 se firmó el tratado de Alcovaça, entre la reina Isabel la Católica y su tía Beatriz de Portugal, por el cual Alfonso V y Juana la Beltraneja renunciaron al Reino de Castilla, en favor de los Reyes Católicos.

Principales monumentos:
Puente Romano, Templo y Arco de triunfo; Conventual de San Benito y Anfiteatro; Iglesia Parroquial de Santa Mª de Almocóvar, Iglesia de San Pedro de Alcántara (sobre casa natal del Patrón de Extremadura), Muralla Árabe, Judería (Sinagoga de la Soledad),casas solariegas, Conventual de San Francisco (futura Hospedería de turismo).

Su principal atractivo turístico es su puente romano. En 1979 se le concedió el Primer Premio Nacional de Embellecimiento y Turismo de los Pueblos de España.
--------------------------------
Alcantara is a municipality in the province of Caceres in Extremadura (Spain), located on the left bank of the River Tagus at its confluence with the river Alagón, near Portugal. Its modern name comes from the Arabic word Al Qantarat, which means The Bridge because of the Roman bridge located in their vicinity. It's historic capital of the region of Earth from Alcantara.

The Visigoths called it "Oliva," but the Arabs renamed the "Kantara-ass-Saif" which means Bridge of the Sword. In 1213 it was reconquered by King Alfonso IX, who handed it to the Order of Calatrava for the Arabs to defend. However, as far as the Order of Alcantara, was handed over to the Order of St. Julian of Pereiroa, which was renamed the Order of Alcantara. In 1479 signed the treaty Alcovaça, between Queen Isabel the Catholic, and her aunt Beatrice of Portugal, whereby Alfonso V and Joanna Beltraneja resigned to the Kingdom of Castile, in favor of the Catholic Kings.

Major monuments:
Puente Romano, Temple and the Arch of Triumph; Conventual of San Benito and Amphitheater; Parish Church of Santa Maria of Almocóvar, Church of San Pedro de Alcantara (on birthplace of the patron of Extremadura), Wall Arab, Jewish (Synagogue of Solitude) , manors, Conventual San Francisco (Hospedería future of tourism).

Its main tourist attraction is its Roman bridge. In 1979 he was awarded the First Prize of National Tourism and Beautification of the Peoples of Spain.

Photo Information
Viewed: 3445
Points: 96
Discussions
Additional Photos by Charo Parras (Charo) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 5142 W: 58 N: 12086] (51212)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH