Fotos

Photographer's Note

Nederlandse versie
Her een van de ingangen van het kasteel van Valkenburg aan deze gerenoveerde oude canon.
Een beetje geschiedenis
De vroegste teksten met vermelding van de gemeente dateert uit 1041. Een document dat betrekking heeft op Koning Henry III (de latere Duitse keizer later) 4 dorpen gaf aan haar nicht Irmgard. Deze dorpen werden Herve (België), Epen, Vaals en Valkenburg. perkament werd ondertekend op 15 februari 1041 en de naam Falchenberch duidelijk identificeerbaar zijn. Historici het algemeen over eens dat de huidige Valkenburg niet bestaan, maar slechts een deel van de stad nu Oud Valkenburg. Valkenburg de naam waarschijnlijk verwijst naar de middeleeuwse jacht valken, inzetten voor de adel.

Zitplaatsen en overwinningen doorspekt de geschiedenis van de stad. Het kasteel, gelegen op een heuvel in het centrum van de stad, was de uitdaging van alle veldslagen. In december 1672, tijdens de campagne van Louis XIV tegen de Verenigde Provincies, de stad werd verwoest, maar niet herbouwd. Slechts twee stadspoorten (de Berkelpoort en Grendelpoort) en fragmenten van de vestingwerken zijn nog zichtbaar vandaag.
English version
Here one of the entrances to the castle of Valkenburg with this renovated old canon.
A little history
The earliest texts mentioning the town dates from 1041. A document that relate to King Henry III (later German emperor later) 4 villages gave to her niece Irmgard. These villages were Herve (Belgium), Epen, Vaals and Valkenburg. parchment was signed on 15 February 1041 and the name Falchenberch is clearly identifiable. Historians generally agree that the current Valkenburg did not exist, but only part of the city now called Old Valkenburg. Valkenburg's name probably refers to the medieval hunting falcons, committed to the nobility.

Seats and victories punctuated the history of the city. The castle, situated on a hill in the center of the city, was the challenge of all battles. In December 1672, during the campaign of Louis XIV against the United Provinces, the city was destroyed but not rebuilt. Only two city gates (the Berkelpoort and Grendelpoort) and fragments of the fortifications are still visible today.

guytoc marcou esta nota como útil

Photo Information
Viewed: 1751
Points: 6
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Yves Triga (Yves-triga) Gold Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 414 W: 46 N: 389] (5149)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH