Fotos

Photographer's Note

San Giacomo di Spoleto - Spoleto (PG)

San Giacomo di Spoleto, formerly San Giacomo di Poreta, is an ancient villa on the Spoleto plain, which in the past was in the old territory of Poreta. The inhabited nucleus arose and expanded as an open villa, without walls, along the road that led from Spoleto to the north towards the Fonti del Clitunno, a road that took a primary interest with the abandonment of the ancient Roman diverticolo that he ran, still on the plain, but farther west.
The villa soon became a crucial road junction where roads also came from the many castles of the plains and surrounding hills.
It is indeed probable that the first inhabited nucleus of San Giacomo arose in consequence of the traffics that were possible on that site.
The earliest records date back to the end of the thirteenth century, it is probable that the first houses were built around the Church of San Giacomo, already attested by the Pelosius code, and the hospital that had stood nearby to give help and relief to many travelers, pilgrims and traders who passed through it, creating a small nucleus, which in 1279 had just 14 fires and depended on the nearby castle of Poreta.
In 1291 the hospital structure was aggregated to the much more important Hospital of the Star of Spoleto.
In 1378 the local massari asked for and obtained from the Hospital of the Star of Spoleto, owner of the hospital that once stood here and its assets, a land whose extension was left to the will of the rector of the duchy of Spoleto Rinaldo Orsini, waves be able to build a castle that could put an end to the continuous damage to which the local population was subject due to raids and robberies perpetrated by armed bands.

Photo Information
Viewed: 233
Points: 38
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 15124 W: 130 N: 31174] (177529)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH