Fotos

Photographer's Note

Civitella - Scheggino

The castle of Civitella, elliptical, occupies a small hill 480 meters above sea level, the domain of a vast and fertile agricultural plateau, located in the left bank of the Black, and control of the important mountain road linking Spoleto Monteleone and Leonessa, then the Kingdom of Naples.
Erected on the site of an ancient settlement, testified by funerary material of pre-Roman times, fief of the Abbey of San Pietro in Valle, at the end of the thirteenth century became the seat of the Podesta of the Spoleto district.
The fortifications, the walls and the two doors of this period date back access.
In the fourteenth century church of San Pietro it is one of three ancient churches of the Val di Narco, located near the main roads: its jurisdiction extended over numerous churches in the area and sull'hospitale for travelers dedicated to Santa Croce sull ' Holy Cross hospital, still operating in '600. The importance of the settlement in the Middle Ages is testified by the presence, in addition to the above hospital, even a monastery of Augustinian nuns dedicated to Saint Mary Magdalene.
In 1361 and in 1490 is located between the properties submitted to the City of Spoleto.
Civitella in 1522 participates in the confederation of Castles in fight against Spoleto, dissociandosene later. In 1539 and in 1603 Civitella is involved in border disputes with the community of Monte San Vito and Scheggino.
Civitella has enjoyed until the nineteenth century of self-government and only after the unification of Italy, the town of Civitella in 1883 became enfeoffed of Sant'Anatolia di Narco: in 1885 has joined permanently to the city of Scheggino.
Today it is inhabited by 16 people. Surrounded by walls, still almost intact, the urban structure is characterized by a main road which starts from "Porta Priora", located upstream and preceded by a covered walkway to time as well as the remains of a rampart, runs first flat and then sloping towards the "Porta da Piedi", or below, with a pointed arch stone. On this path are grafted all other avenues.
The building is very sober but there are details that show a certain accuracy (mullioned windows, balconies, lintels); a few of the sixteenth and seventeenth century buildings reveal the noble aspirations of a small class of owners in a housing art, as seen in Diosi hopes and homes, showing architectural elements of great value, unusual for resorts in the area, with decorations around portals and windows, which enrich the medieval building fabric. The castle, although there is observed some intervention recently renovated, still retains overall its original architectural features, many buildings are still in poor condition due to the long neglect.
The Church of Saints Peter and John is located in the center of the country, has always identified as the ancient church dedicated to St. Peter, although recent research to localize outside the castle. The present building dates from the fourteenth century, was much altered over time, with additions of the Baroque period, while the arrangement of the sanctuary should an operation of the nineteenth century. Along the mountain route from Ceselli rooms in Civitella there is the Sanctuary of Santa Maria della Luce, referring to the sixteenth century (in the doorway of the church bears the date 1528), which receives the dedication from an image of the Virgin, depicted in a century fresco, protected by a tabernacle inserted in the wall of an older building.
Not far from the village and from the sanctuary of Our Lady of Light, along the ancient road from Scheggino, you can see the ruins covered with vegetation of the former church of San Biagio, a Romanesque building recently identified with the ancient church of S. Peter.

Photo Information
Viewed: 405
Points: 28
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 13115 W: 132 N: 26556] (158637)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH