Fotos

Photographer's Note

Monastery of Santa Maria di Caso - Torre Orsina - Terni
An ancient Benedictine abbey, it stands on the hill facing Torre Orsina. There is no information about its foundation, but the analysis of the remaining structures shows that it is pre-Romanesque, probably dating back to the VI-VII century, then the work of the Lombard dukes.
In 1252 it became one of the first sites of female monasticism in the territory of Spoleto. In fact, it was granted by the bishop of the time to the Poor Women of San Damiano. It was part of the possessions of the lords of Rocca Accarina, near the now crumbling castle, in fact in the second half of 1200 it was Abbess Augusta, daughter of Accarino became an Illuminato friar of the Arce, one of the first followers of San Francesco. Converted from the saint's preaching, he left his possessions and feudal rights to his son Henry and his brother Ottonello and accompanied Francis to the Holy Land; it is explicitly mentioned also by Dante in the Divine Comedy, in Canto XII of Paradiso. The church then passed to the Abbey of Farfa. It is mentioned in the fourteenth-century code Pelosius as part of the plebate of Castri Lacus, that is Casteldilago: "Monast. S. Mariae da Caseo est. Libr. 300 fuit Monast. Est unitum Monast. "
Despite the centuries of neglect, conspicuous remains remain, both from the church and from the monastery.
The facade of the church is well preserved, the portal is a round arch, in rustic ashlars, above it opens a window, also arched. The wall is made of travertine blocks, very irregular, with traces of plaster. The apse, externally, is polygonal.
The interior has a single nave and has a more regular wall cladding than the outside, the roof, now collapsed, was barrel-shaped, the apse is a semi-annular type built with large blocks of travertine well connected, in the middle opens a window, now partially walled, between vault and drum there is a molding, still retains some traces of plaster, probably was frescoed. On the walls there are numerous niches, whose function is unknown.
Behind the church are the two best preserved rooms of the monastery, from a small door leads to a large barrel vaulted room with large, well-squared travertine blocks. Through a door, architraved in bricks, there is access to another environment, smaller in size, also turned barrel, whose bottom wall has partially collapsed.
Other remains of walls can be seen, difficult to interpret.

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 16260 W: 130 N: 33630] (188193)
  • Genre: Lugares
  • Medium: Cor
  • Date Taken: 2019-03-09
  • Categories: Arquitectura
  • Exposição: 30 segundos
  • Versão da Foto: Versão Original
  • Date Submitted: 2019-03-10 4:20
Viewed: 463
Points: 48
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 16260 W: 130 N: 33630] (188193)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH