Fotos

Photographer's Note

Castle of Terria - Ferentillo - Terni

The castle of Terria stands on the La Bernara hill, at 425 m s.l.m, on the last slopes of the eastern slope of the Valle del Nera, on the borders of the ancient Duchy of Ferentillo, on the left bank of the Nera. The center is divided into two nuclei (Terria and Terria de Cuntra) separated by a stream.
The castle, with its triangular layout and the type of slope, is dominated by the high cassero, a tower dating back to the 12th century, perhaps pre-existing to the construction of the underlying inhabited area.
It was a fief of the Abbey of San Pietro in Valle.
A Monte frumentario was present, the documentation received attested to its activity from the end of the 18th century. After the unification of Italy, the administration passed to the local congregation of charity. The date of cancellation is not known.
In the decade between 1920 and 1930 Terria was affected by a strong immigration flow of lumberjacks from Abruzzo and Tuscany for the production of coal from timber, transported downstream from Mount Aspra via a cableway that reached as far as Sambucheto.
Even today, going to Terria you can see scenes that date back to a past that only survives here.
Following a heavy emigration, the village and the nearby Terria di Contra according to the Istat 2001 census were populated by only 30 inhabitants. To see the Church of San Lorenzo and the Church of the Madonna del Rosario.
Downstream of the town, near the Nera there is a fish laboratory where research and studies are carried out aimed at the conservation of native fish species. Nearby there is an interesting farmhouse with a frescoed shrine with a depiction of the Madonna and Child. Another kiosk is located along a nearby mule track.

Photo Information
Viewed: 560
Points: 42
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 16667 W: 130 N: 34426] (191477)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH