Fotos

Photographer's Note

Castle of Colleponte - Macenano - Ferentillo (TR)

The ancient settlement consists of two residential areas, now separated by the Valnerina state road, but which in ancient times constituted the castle of Capo la Terra, guarding the ancient viability of the Nera valley; together with the Umbriano Castle, located on the other side of the river, it protected the Abbey of San Pietro in Valle from the north. Macenano, located upstream of the state road, today has the appearance of an agricultural villa, but as it enters its narrow streets, there are also evocative elements that recall its origin. Interesting to visit is the Church of Sant'Antonio rebuilt in the 16th century, but of fourteenth-century origins, characterized by a gabled façade, architraved portal and double-arched bell tower, located on the right side. The interior still preserves the fourteenth-century structure, masked by recent plastering, from which Renaissance-style frescoes re-emerge; it has a single hall, divided into three spans by transverse pointed arches. On the left wall there is an eighteenth-century altar with a Roman school canvas depicting St. James the Apostle, in the left presbytery wall one sees, at the top, a shabby fresco of the beginning of the seventeenth century, depicting the Stories of St. Anthony, below a Saint not identifiable. The main altar is decorated with a canvas signed by Giacinto Boccanera and dated 1688, depicting the Madonna and Child with the Saints Antonio Abate, Agostino and Clemente. On the right wall is an eighteenth-century altar with a coeval canvas depicting the Madonna del Soccorso with the souls in purgatory.
A little further on is the Church of Sant’Anna, already reduced to a warehouse and now practically a ruin. Opposite the church of Sant'Anna stands another building of the Cybo Family called "La Zecca" and perhaps used as a residence for the Duchy officials. There is a stone portal and a lunette with a noble coat of arms from the 17th century. At the windows there are carved stone shelves. A little further on, the last ancient house that we encounter preserves a portal dated 1588 and, inside, a large room with a carved fireplace, frescoed in the 17th century with Franciscan subjects. Absolutely not to be missed is the Abbey of San Pietro in Valle.

Of the ancient nucleus placed downstream of the state road, today called Colleponte, the high tower remains inside the Borgo.
It is flanked by the Church of San Giovanni Evangelista and is visually connected with the tower of the Castello di Umbriano. Along the ancient Valnerina road is the Church of the Madonna delle Grazie, an interesting example of the transformation of a street newsstand into a religious building.



Photo Information
Viewed: 580
Points: 42
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 16559 W: 130 N: 34205] (190607)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH