Fotos

Photographer's Note

This is a part of The Fountain of Venus and Adonis in the gardens of the Royal Palace of Caserta.

The fountain portrays Venus (in the picture) and Adonis. The goddess begs her lover not to go hunting boas, knowing that the animal will kill the youth; cherubs and nymphs surround the figures arranged on the travertine reef, forming a marbled group consisting of isolated elements which do not establish a unitary composition. The work was completed by Gaetano Salomone in 1784. Despite the classical theme, it is still imbued with eighteenth century Neapolitan Rococò.

about the Royal Palace:

'''The Royal Palace of Caserta, in Italian Reggia di Caserta, is a former royal residence in Caserta, constructed for the Bourbon kings of Naples. It was the largest palace and probably the largest building erected in Europe in the eighteenth century. In 1996, the Palace of Caserta was listed among the World Heritage Sites on the grounds that it was "the swan song of the spectacular art of the Baroque, from which it adopted all the features needed to create the illusions of multidirectional space"
The construction of the palace was begun in 1752 for Charles VII of Naples, who worked closely with his architect Luigi Vanvitelli.
Vanvitelli died in 1773: the construction was continued by his son Carlo, until it was ended in 1780.
The palace has a rectangular plan, measuring 247 x 184 m. The four sides are connected by two orthogonal arms, forming four inner courts, each measuring more than 3,800 m².Of all the royal residences inspired by the Palace of Versailles, the Reggia of Caserta is the one bearing the greatest resemblance to the original model: the unbroken balustraded skyline, the slight break provided by pavilions within the long, somewhat monotonous facade. As at Versailles, a large aqueduct was required to bring water for the prodigious water displays. Like its French predecessor, the palace was designed to be the powerhouse of an absolute Bourbon monarchy in the true Baroque fashion.
The garden, a typical example of the baroque extension of formal vistas, stretch for 120 ha, partly on hilly terrain. It is inspired by the park of Versailles, but it is commonly regarded as superior in beauty. The park starts from the back façade of the palace, flanking a long alley with artificial fountains and cascades.
The fountains and cascades, each filling a vasca ("basin"), with architecture and hydraulics by Luigi Vanvitelli at intervals along a wide straight canal that runs to the horizon.
In 1945 the palace was the site of the signing of terms of the unconditional German surrender of forces in Italy.
Caserta was used as the location for Queen Amidala's Royal Palace on Naboo in the 1999 film Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace and again in the 2002 film Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones as Queen Jamilla's palace''

yeln, bukitgolfb301, papagolf21, edge, faletiz, raszid62, Fante, Charo marcou esta nota como útil

Photo Information
Viewed: 4668
Points: 26
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by ALESSANDRO MACCHI (SWEETFREEDOM) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 1587 W: 0 N: 3172] (24623)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH