Fotos

Photographer's Note

Hungarian valiant sculpture & the Roman Catholic church of the Minorites, Dobó square, Eger

Eger is one of the most beautiful Baroque cities in Hungary. The centuries-old architectural heritage, the ecclesiastical treasures, the wine culture, the thermal baths and numerous cultural events combine to make Eger the most significant tourist centre in Northern Hungary.

Dobó tér (Dobó Square) is the most uniform and closed square of Eger. The works of art of Kisfaludi Stróbl Zsigmond and Stróbl Alajos, to be found in the main square, commemorate the 1552 glorious victory against the multiple superiority of the Turkish army. The number of people defending the castle against the 40 - 50 thousand strong Turkish army was around 2,000. Dobó István and his handful army swore to defend the castle and to keep fighting till the end. Following the close to 40-day siege, the Turkish army left the scene.

Roman Catholic church of the Minorites (St Anthony)

The church was designed by the famous architect of Baroque, Kilian Ignaz Dientzenhofer. Its towers are 57 metres high and it is articulated by several projecting ledges. The woodwork of the interior is of particular value.
The plan of the single-nave church is of the shape of a Latin cross. The main facade is particularly impressive featuring an arcuated projection between the twin towers. Steps lead up to the main entrance which is framed by two pairs of huge columns sited on the tall pedestal and which stretch up all the way to the main ledge.
The pertinent inscription 'Pro Deo Nunquan Satis' ('For God nothing suffices') above the entrance's capstone is framed by Rococo-type ornamentation. The richly carved frame above the inscription holds the Franciscan crest with its entwined arms. Crosses of wrought iron sit on top of the graceful steeples.
The tripartite main nave's sweeping space is oriented towards the square sanctuary with its monumental high altar. Both sides of the high altar the stucco statues of St Louis and St Bonaventura have been placed. Six side altars join the nave. Frescos decorate the ceiling and a large gilded relief surrounded by marble stucco adorns the pulpit. The skilfully carved wooden benches date from 1792.
The church holds relics of Hungarian saints, St Kinga, Blessed Iolanthe, and St Hedwig daughter of King Louis d'Anjou. The relic of St Hedwig was returned to the saint's home country by the church of Poland.(Source:Vendégváró)

snunney, jlbrthnn, dkmurphys, vasilpro, carlosmarin marcou esta nota como útil

Photo Information
Viewed: 1994
Points: 32
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by George Rumpler (Budapestman) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8900 W: 3 N: 20435] (82620)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH