Fotos

Photographer's Note

Stralsund (Polish hist. Sztrela, Strzalow) - Baltic Hanseatic city and district in the German state of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, the county seat of Vorpommern-Rügen. It is situated on the Strelasund Strait and has rail and road with Germany's largest island - the island of Rügen.

As a result of the movement of the German-speaking population of the eastern territories (known Ostsiedlung), Stralsund area was inhabited today and 1234 Rügen Prince Wislaw I said the city municipal rights. Initially, these areas were inhabited by Slavs, explains the origin of the Slavic name of the city: stral means arrowhead or spear. End-sund in Germanic languages define the strait sea and refers in this case to the Strelasund Strait.

Stralsund quickly became one of the most important commercial cities of the Baltic Sea, mainly due to settlers from Westphalia. After the dissolution of the Duchy of Rügen , Stralsund in 1325 belonged to the Duchy of Pomerania - Wologoszcz. In the fourteenth century, became the most important city of the Hanseatic after Lübeck on the southern coast of the Baltic. A number of armed clashes with the rulers of Denmark ended in 1370 with peace of Stralsund.

During the Thirty Years' War the city with the help of Sweden and Denmark prevented the siege of the city by the troops of Wallenstein, and for over 200 years Stralsund was ruled by the Kingdom of Sweden as part of Swedish Pomerania.

In the nineteenth century, Stralsund became a Prussian city and the seat of the Prussian regency.

During the Second World War, the Allied bombing on October 6, 1944 Stralsund were killed over 800 civilians. 8,000 homes and historic architecture has been completely or severely damaged. May 1, 1945, the Red Army entered the city with virtually no use of force. Stralsund became part of the Soviet occupation zone.

In the German Democratic Republic was built in several blocks of concrete slabs and the historic Old Town began to fall into disrepair. The city's economy was based mainly from the construction of the ships in the local shipyard, which is performed for the Soviet Union ships under ten days time.

After the political turn in 1989, the historic center of the city and the port has been completely restored with the help of the government program. Also, residential areas of prefabricated blocks have been renovated, and the concept of a residential building in the city has been modified.

This is a scan from negative.

mohammad_H, Eric_vd marcou esta nota como útil

Photo Information
Viewed: 798
Points: 14
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Jozef Zbigniew Napora (raszid62) Gold Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 1797 W: 41 N: 3315] (18457)
  • Primorsko-Goranska photo
    #
  • Primorsko-Goranska photo
    #
  • Primorsko-Goranska photo
    #
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH