Fotos

Photographer's Note

The Tallinn Castle was begun in 1222 by the Teutonic Order and enlarged by the Danes in 1238. Later the group of buildings was fortified, walled and buildings were added as a monastery. At present only the northern and western walls are conserved.

The area of the castle is perched on top of a hill, in a part of the city called Toompea, the area of the city reserved for aristocrats and nobles from where you could control the city, so the Castle is known as "Toompea Loss".

In the zone, on the one hand there are the medieval remains with the high tower in the corner and on the other the modern part, of baroque style and raised during the reign of the tsarina Catherine of Russia and where the Parliament is currently located of Estonia in a building with a white and pink facade that overlooks Plaza Loss Plats.

The tower that is seen in one of the corners of the castle wall is known as "Pikk Herman". It is 50 meters high and its name comes from the German "Lange Hermann" which comes to mean something like boss and makes reference to a medieval hero. It dates from the late fourteenth century and in 1991 witnessed the clash between the Estonians who had placed the flag on top of the tower and the Russians who tried to avoid it.

------------------------------------------------------

El Castillo de Tallin se comenzó a construir en 1222 por la Orden Teutónica y fue ampliada por los daneses en 1238. Más tarde el conjunto de edificios se due fortificando, amurallando y se fueron añadiendo construcciones como un monasterio. En la actualidad sólo se conservan los muros septentrionales y occidentales.

La zona del castillo se encuentra encaramada en lo alto de una colina, en una parte de la ciudad llamada Toompea, la zona de la ciudad reservada a los aristócratas y nobles desde donde se podía controlar la ciudad, por ello al Castillo se le conoce como "Toompea Loss".

En la zona, por una parte estan los restos medievales con la alta torre en la esquina y por otro la parte moderna, de estilo barroco y levantada durante el reinado de la zarina Catalina de Rusia y en donde en la actualidad tiene su sede el Parlamento de Estonia en un edificio de fachada blanca y rosada que da a la plaza Loss Plats.

La torre que se contempla en una de las esquinas de la muralla del castillo se conoce como "Pikk Herman". Tiene 50 metros de altura y su nombre viene del alemán "Lange Hermann"(Germán el largo) que viene a significar algo así como jefe y hace referencia a un héroe medieval. Data de finales del siglo XIV y en 1991 fue testigo del enfrentamiento entre los estonios que habían colocado la bandera en lo alto de la torre y los rusos que trataron de evitarlo


Photo Information
Viewed: 1128
Points: 54
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 7998 W: 5 N: 14086] (62794)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH