Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great holmertz 2019-08-16 12:23

Hello Paul,
Alleppey (yes, it was 1988) was where I ended my day trip through the backwaters, starting in Quilon (also something else now) further south. I travelled by a kind of floating bus, similar to those in the WS but without any upper deck. I don't think I saw any sightseeing boats or houseboats during the entire day. There was of course some kind of tourism industry already then, but mainly aiming at Indians and not very "modernized". I arrived in Alleppey at sunset and left by bus next morning, so I only remember the canal taking me into the town center. You were very lucky with the eternal sunshine that favoured the colours so much. These photos are all very nice and bright.
Regards,
Gert

Old 08-16-2019, 08:32 PM
TE Expert

Default To holmertz: The houseboats

Thank you Gert,

Today there are thousands of houseboats.
Most of them had no customers when I was there.

Houseboats are relatively expensive and only sail on the large canals, the lake or even the sea.
More has been invested in houseboats than necessary.
In addition, during the past winter (European winter) the number of visitors from Western countries in Kerala had decreased. The previous monsoon season, with its dramatic destructions and people who died, had reached the Western press and especially in Alappuzha people complained that the western tourists had stayed away in large numbers.
This summer India is again having a disastrous monsoon season ...

Best wishes,
Paul