Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great PaulVDV 2018-11-30 10:05

Hello Gert,
I cannot well remember to what extent Kashmir experienced turbulent times in 1977 ... I think it was more dangerous for foreigners in the late 80s and the 90s. In 1994 I went to Ladakh via Manali and there I met a European who had gone through Srinagar and his bus had ended up in a firefight. So he decided wisely to go back to Delhi via Manali.
This photo looks a bit like your images of Afghanistan.
That woman really carries a lot on her head.
The fruit on the left looks the best quality.
Kind regards, Paul

Old 12-01-2018, 02:16 PM
TE Expert

Default To PaulVDV: dangerous

Thank you Paul,
I was in Kashmir three times. In 1977 and 1985 it was completely safe and quiet, but in 1993 (on business) I ended up in a hotel where I was the only foreign guest. The others were Hindu civil servants who had sent their families back to "India" and lived in this hotel surrounded by walls and sandbags and protected by heavily armed soldiers. It was a strange experience. But it became much worse a few years later, after the local revolt against Indian rule had been hijacked by professional jihadists supported by Pakistan.
Have a nice Sunday,
Gert