Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2018-11-29 23:14

Hello Gert,

This must be one of the most interesting posts I have seen on TE for some time! Not only do we see two excellent photographs and read a fascinating and informative note but, yes, you did not exaggerate when you suggested that we might get a surprise by following Mr. Google's little yellow companion to this place as it is today. Yes, gone are the old rickety market stalls, the rough earthen roadway and well-worn traditional clothing - now we see modern hotels and shops, smooth metalled roadways, vehicles more modern and in better condition than mine and people dressed in modern outdoor winter clothing such as a Westerner might wear on a trip to Iceland or on a skiing holiday in Austria.

Your main photograph is no doubt the better of the two, not only technically but also in the amount of detail and information it conveys, yet your workshop image (only one today?) is quite delightful too, showing a lady sitting outside her door, presumably sewing or engrossed in some similar fiddly task.

Thank you for sharing these delightful memories.

Excellent!

Kind Regards,

John.

P.S. Just out of curiosity, how can you tell that Mr. Google's image of this street scene was taken just this month?

Old 11-30-2018, 09:05 AM
TE Expert

Default To tyro: this month

Thank you John,
If I search the Google map directly, not going through TE, I find the same photos. Then there is a small box in the upper left corner that says "Street view nov 2018". That information is not seen when going through TE. For instance, if I look at the street where I live it says "July 2017", which is probably correct judging from the ugly graffiti on the gable of my house. Other street views feature other dates, obviously showing when the photos were taken. But on TE that information is lost.
Kind regards,
Gert
Old 11-30-2018, 02:38 PM
TE Expert

Default Maps - eight years old!

Hello Gert,

Thank you for your reply: I should have thought that out by myself - or, at least, I should have noticed the date as I have looked at Google maps many, many times.

Interestingly, Mr. Google has obviously been saving petrol in our area as the images in our street were taken in November 2010! Not that much has changed, quite honestly.

Kind Regards,

John.