To tyro: Photograph size - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2014-07-07 13:52

Hi Bev,

I saw this one very briefly this morning just as I was about to go out - and I see that you've changed its title. Your original title was something like "A view from my window" and my immediate thought was that Bev must have bought herself some super dooper terribly long lens to get this shot from her window in Trawden. But, now having read your note (and a slightly more appropriate title) I understand all!

This is a beautiful shot but, displayed on the "new" TE website, it has ceratinly lost a lot of its sharpness and "punch". At its full size of 875 pixels wide (as seen on "beta" TE) it is specatcularly clear and sharp but the "shrinking" done on the new site really does degrade the quality and sharpness a great deal. Funnily enough, I feel that the degradation is worse if the uploaded image is just about 800 - 900 pixels wide, whereas pictures posted much larger at, say, 1200 pixels in width seem to suffer a lot less.

Incidentally, you might have read the posts which Mariusz and I put on the forum recently - you can follow it here if you're interested. Unfortunately, nothing much appears to have been done to solve the problem.

Anyway, Bev, this is a delightful night time photograph with the tall buildings beautifully silhouetted aagainst a glorious sky and with a beautiful soft sheen on the Hudson River too. Gorgeous light and colours, a fine composition and excellent sharpness - when viewed at its proper size.

Fabulous!

Kind Regards,

John.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:26 PM
TE Expert

Red face To tyro: Photograph size

Hi John, thanks for your thoughtful critique.

I decided to post my shots between 850 - 900 pixels so that they can be seen in one go, without scrolling up or across the screen and, so they are not mega helpful to people who may wish to copy them!

Shots do look better on Beta, which I usually use but, to be honest, some people make the photos so big that it is impossible to access them.

I will follow Mariusz's link now.

Kind regards,
Bev