To delpeoples: Sei stato a C/Mmare di Stabia, Napoli? - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great delpeoples 2011-09-28 4:45

Ciao caro Donato

Mammamia che nuvole, meno male che non e' piovuto per troppo tempo. Pero' questi colori fanno una scena super-drammatica. Bellissima la luce, specialemente sul mare, ed i colori che sembrano smeraldi o zaffiri. Peccato che non hai incontrato il Pixel Terror, forse la prossima volta. Bellissima profundita di campo qui: mare e montagne uniscono per una foto stupenda e formidabile. Grazie per la condivisione e ti auguro una bella giornata del sole.

Un abbraccio
Lisa
PS: Sei stato a C/Mmare di Stabia, Napoli? Forse, gia lo sai, ma e' la citta natale di mio papa'?! Tanti anni fa, era bellissima, ma nei questi giorni il peccato e' che la gente non mostrano rispetto per la sua citta.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:04 PM
TE Expert

Default To delpeoples: Sei stato a C/Mmare di Stabia, Napoli?

hi Lisa,

(let's practice a little English! otherwise I'll forget it!)
Yes, I've been to Castellamare di Stabia, when I was thirteen!
My sister was married to a captain of a cargo ship which had to be repaired and so they brought it to the shipyard in Castellamare. My brother in law had to live there to follow the works and so my sister joined him there. They rent a flat in the very centre, near the seafront, and they invited me to go there and stay with them for a while. It was my first journey outside Sardinia. My parents accompanied me to the ferry (there is a direct ferry Cagliari-Naples) and then I travelled alone, in third class which at the time meant a large hall full of berths, all together!
I have a vague remembrance of Castellamare of a lively and nice town. But the best thing I remember was the loud voice of a street seller who used to wake me every morning shouting: "A ricotina! A ricotina fresca!"

They sold small shapes of ricotta wrapped into grape leaves, and I assure you it was the best ricotta I've ever tasted!

I wonder if the same ricotta still exists now...

Ciao,
Donato
Old 09-28-2011, 12:16 PM
TE Expert

Smile Small World

Ciao caro Donato

Isn't it a small world? Interesting also that your first voyage outside Sardegna was to Stabia, and my first voyage outside Sydney was also to Stabia! It really is lovely to hear your boyhood memories of the place. I know it has changed dramatically even since I was first there in 1992. And I hope that Castellammare was as happy a place for you as it was for me.

Unfortunately there are no vendors selling ricotina anymore, although they still might be there in Napoli. I must ask my dad about it.

And sadly the old shipyard (that my grandfather, father and uncle worked in for years, incidentally) is being closed down by Fincantieri It was the oldest shipyard in the world and of course had an important history during World War II.

However, the Acqua Della Madonna still flows freely at the Terme Stabiane and the lungomare. And the vongole are delicious.

Un abbraccio e grazie di nuovo
Lisa
Old 09-30-2011, 05:48 AM
TE Expert

Smile Ricotina...A Small World

Ciao caro Donato

I just thought I would drop you a line and let you that today I spoke to my Dad about you who was so delighted to hear of your memories of Stabia.

He remembers well the ricotina along the lungomare and in the villa. He said they were a family of cheesemakers called Carlucci from Madonna della Libera in the hills above Castellammare di Stabia. He went to school with one of the sons who made these treats.

Sadly, they no longer ply their trade, but some Neapolitan cheesemakers named Somma who immigrated here to Sydney, studied with them and learned the trade, bringing it out to Australia in the late 1950s. Their factory and little cheese shop Paesanella is still operating in Marrickville and Haberfield, the heart of the Italian Zone in Sydney. I buy my cheese from there every week. Their cheese is sought by all the good Italian restaurants, delicatessens and even the big department stores here. See here http://www.paesanella.com.au/

What a small world we live in! Thank you so much for your memories.

Un caro abbraccio da me e mio papa' (stasera verremo insieme al concerto di Placido Domingo domani alla Festival del Cinema Italiano con u buon pranzo)

Lisa