To Suppiluliuma: tilting - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Suppiluliuma 2011-09-26 3:01

A stunning cloud indeed. No wonder it rained afterwards.

October is my favorite monh of the year in terms of the spectacular clouds over Istanbul. I presume Sardinia is no different. :-)

One of the distinct features of TE is the bond between its members who are travelers by nature. I hope I'll join this circle of wandering friends some time soon.

TFS.

Ciao.

Erdem

PS: Is the picture tilted somewhat to the right, or is it the curve of the beach in the horizon which gives this impression?

Old 09-26-2011, 11:09 AM
TE Expert

Default To Suppiluliuma: tilting

Hello Erdem,

this is a recurrent problem with my photos... I've even opened a forum in another site to discuss the matter... actually there is no objective way to say if it's tilted or not because we don't have a sure reference here, like the real horizon or some vertical buildings (the hut and the watching wooden tower are too little to give a sure reference). what we see is the shore line which looks tilted because it's not parallel to the plane of the observer, and so it's natural according to the laws of perspective. But as a friend photographer observed what it's more important in a photo you are showing to the public it's the impression it gives. So even if it may not be tilted, if it gives the impression to be tilted it's better to straighten it. Problem is that I've not noticed it because I know well the place so it doesn't look tilted to my eyes...
I hope I managed to explain the problem clearly enough.

Thanks for your observation,
Donato
Old 09-27-2011, 05:24 AM
TE Senior Member

Very clearly, indeed.

Frankly, I must confess I had thought tilted images were a trademark of mine. :-)

Since Canon doesn't have a correction matrix as Nikon does, I got an accessory (a miniature water balance masons use) to correct it, but wasn't that much successful because it is placed on top of the camera. :-)

Re this image: I wasn't sure either about the beach. Was it that important? I guess I am kind of obsessed about my tilted images that my eyes focus directly to the horizon first.

With friendship,

Erdem