To Clairedelune: Thx - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Clairedelune 2008-02-06 18:22

Hello Daniel,
I can't do otherwise than stop on this photo for a while. It happens sometimes, that we see a particular photo that fits somehow with some moments in our own life. I am very touched lately by a book that I am reading. The Lost by Daniel Mendelsohn. This man is doing a quest to find the truth about some family members that were "killed by the Nazis". If you don't know the book, you can read the 97 first pages on the site I just gave you, if you click on the "Browse Inside". These family members were living in Bolechow, a town that was also in Polish territory and is now in Ukraine. Pages 42-43, you can find this:
"There is a joke that people from this part of Eastern Europe like to tell, which suggests why the pronunciations and the spellings keep shifting: it's about a man who's born in Austria, goes to school in Poland, gets married in Germany, has children in the Soviet Union, and dies in Ukraine. Through all that, the joke goes, he never left his village!"
Your photo has the merit to bring some life to the book. I think I would have prefer if it was in black & white because the colors seem a little too strong and saturated. I think you might have overdone the sharpening, because there is a white line around the zones of contrast.
Even with its flaws, I find your photo quite valuable. And thank you for it.
Claire

Old 02-08-2008, 09:52 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To Clairedelune: Thx

Hi Claire - Thanks for the comments on the photo and thank you very much for the link to "The Lost", I'll certainly read it, esp. as I really had a similar experience, looking for clues of my lost relatives, in the same geographical area. As for the joke, you can add that they spoke Yddish at home, and many also learnt Hebrew at the local Jewish school. Regards, Daniel