Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great postvikram 2006-02-16 4:47

Richard,
Very impressive capture.I just started to browse your gallery and the first thing that caught my eye was this one.Excellently done.Though theres some noise in the pic, the subjects are admirable.Its very rare to see steam engines back here in India now.The dense smoke is a beautiful sight.Thanks for sharing - Vikram

Old 02-16-2006, 01:14 PM
TE Expert

Default To postvikram: Rare steam

Probably even rarer here, this is the only state operated regular service in Europe. Quite a few preseved lines, running weekend and summer services on short lengths of track, but nothing else quite like this.

Sad to here they're disappearing from India, I keep meaning to get there, partly to see the trains, but it's finding the time to fit in the trip :-(
Old 02-17-2006, 04:52 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: : Rare steam

Richard, Its really hard to think the steamers are dissapearing.From my child hood, I have been fascinated by steam engines.I think most of the kids would have been.

In India there are very few places which specifically operate Steam engines to maintain the traditional way of transport and beauty. Simla, Ootacamund are places I know of but there are more. Hope your trip to India works out sooner.

Regards
Vikram
Old 02-17-2006, 11:58 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: : Rare steam

Thanks for the info, yes, it sounds like I ought to get a move on.